You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mini mac (late 2014) factory reset question

Before I do the "reset" I need to figure out how to save my personal email boxes. When I go online to check my gmails everything is there except my personal mail boxes (like "internet orders", "diary", "hm projects", etc.) How do I save these?

Mac mini, macOS 12.6

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 12:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 12:46 PM

Mail messages stored on the mail server will remain available.

Any mail messages stored locally will be erased by the reset.

If you wish to preserve local mail, you can either back up the mail directly, relocate the messages to folders (Apple refers to “folders” as “mailboxes”) on the mail server (and from there to elsewhere, as needed), or back up the entire Mac.

If you are migrating from one Mac to another Mac, the migration should transfer local mail messages, if that is requested. Check to confirm the transfer before performing the reset.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 6, 2023 12:46 PM in response to B_Gordon_B

Mail messages stored on the mail server will remain available.

Any mail messages stored locally will be erased by the reset.

If you wish to preserve local mail, you can either back up the mail directly, relocate the messages to folders (Apple refers to “folders” as “mailboxes”) on the mail server (and from there to elsewhere, as needed), or back up the entire Mac.

If you are migrating from one Mac to another Mac, the migration should transfer local mail messages, if that is requested. Check to confirm the transfer before performing the reset.

Feb 6, 2023 7:03 PM in response to B_Gordon_B

That's one of the things (where local mail folders are stored and it what format) Apple changed a while back and it made things like your "reset" a whole lot more complicated than it need be.

Not offering a solution, just a suggestion. I use a mail client called Postbox. Well known in both the Mac community and Windows community. One of the compelling features is that Postbox (based on Thunderbird but with a much nicer GUI) still allows for local mail folders to be located anywhere the user would like. I have a Mac mini, a MacBook Pro and a Windows laptop. I store all my local mail folders on Dropbox. That allows me to backup the Dropbox local mail folders from any machine I'd like, as well as giving me access to local mail folders regardless of which system I'm currently on.

Again, not offering a solution to your current issue, just possibly a suggestion for the future.

Mini mac (late 2014) factory reset question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.