You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Spotlight search in one specific folder

I have this folder where I drop a lot of stuff that I research on the web, mostly PDFs. It consists of 3500 objects, mostly subfolders.

Now I have problems finding stuff in this folder even though the general Spotlight search finds it. E.g., there is a subfolder called "Tango" with 7 tango-related PDFs, but searching the folder in the parent folder via the Finder turns up zero results.) The general Spotlight search (cmd-space) on the other hand finds the folder as well as all the documents it contains.

So it doesn't look like the files are missing from the Spotlight index. I've also tried to re-index just that folder (by moving it into and out of Spotlight's exceptions list.)

What could be the problem?

(I'm on Ventura, but the problem started before I upgraded.)

iMac 27″

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 2:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2023 8:36 AM

While on the phone with Apple Support, I tried just putting a folder in as the instructions say (Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support). I was so frustrated at not having any indication of progress as it appears nothing was happening.

In spite of the fact that the Apple Support person told me it could take up to a day or two to complete rebuilding the index, I checked it periodically by searching for "screen" in my screenshots folder with absolutely no results even though most files in that folder have names starting with Screenshot. I even waited overnight to no avail.

I stumbled on your answer and gave it a try with a little fear and trepidation given that I thought maybe the indexing I thought I had already initiated was still under way.

Based on your answer, I tried it again, this time putting the entire Macintosh HD into the Privacy List, clicking Done, waiting 30 seconds, closing the System Settings window, reopening it, then removing the Macintosh HD from the Privacy List, clicking Done, and closing the System Settings window again.

I opened Activity Monitor to see if I could track progress that way. I saw nothing that seemed related. I then decided to do another test search feeling pretty confident it didn't work, surely it couldn't have done it so fast when it did nothing discernible overnight.

But I was THRILLED to see that it fixed my problem already...so fast! (Not sure if the entire index was rebuilt that fast, so might take a little longer to complete the whole process)

I'm wondering if the "official" instructions for rebuilding the Spotlight index should be modified to do the entire hard drive as Christoph recommends.

At any rate, thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU Christoph!!!!

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 5, 2023 8:36 AM in response to Christoph Drösser

While on the phone with Apple Support, I tried just putting a folder in as the instructions say (Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support). I was so frustrated at not having any indication of progress as it appears nothing was happening.

In spite of the fact that the Apple Support person told me it could take up to a day or two to complete rebuilding the index, I checked it periodically by searching for "screen" in my screenshots folder with absolutely no results even though most files in that folder have names starting with Screenshot. I even waited overnight to no avail.

I stumbled on your answer and gave it a try with a little fear and trepidation given that I thought maybe the indexing I thought I had already initiated was still under way.

Based on your answer, I tried it again, this time putting the entire Macintosh HD into the Privacy List, clicking Done, waiting 30 seconds, closing the System Settings window, reopening it, then removing the Macintosh HD from the Privacy List, clicking Done, and closing the System Settings window again.

I opened Activity Monitor to see if I could track progress that way. I saw nothing that seemed related. I then decided to do another test search feeling pretty confident it didn't work, surely it couldn't have done it so fast when it did nothing discernible overnight.

But I was THRILLED to see that it fixed my problem already...so fast! (Not sure if the entire index was rebuilt that fast, so might take a little longer to complete the whole process)

I'm wondering if the "official" instructions for rebuilding the Spotlight index should be modified to do the entire hard drive as Christoph recommends.

At any rate, thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU Christoph!!!!

Feb 23, 2023 5:21 PM in response to Christoph Drösser

I fixed my problem with a tip from the Dropbox user community. I don't know if it had to do with the fact that the folder is in my Dropbox, but here's the fix:

In principle, the method of adding and removing stuff from the Spotlight exceptions list works, but it has to be the whole hard drive, not just the folder that was affected. So you basically re-index the whole drive, it shouldn't take more than an hour. Step by step:

• Open System Preferences and go to Spotlight's Privacy tab.

• Add the entire hard disk INTO the Privacy list.

• Maybe wait 30s (I closed the window then re-opened it).

• Remove the hard disk FROM the Privacy list.

Spotlight will re-index. After finish re-indexing, the search in the folder should work.

(To see if Spotlight is indexing, use Command+Space to invoke Spotlight, and type in something. Wait a second. You should see a progress bar to show indexing progress)

Feb 6, 2023 5:41 PM in response to Christoph Drösser

I found my own workaround for this: I just created a brand new folder and duplicated all the files from the old folder into it – and after a couple of minutes it has indexed all the files and the new folder is searchable. So I can delete the folder that was acting up and this problem will be solved.

Of course now I'd like to know if the problem extends to other folders on my disk that I haven't checked.

Feb 23, 2023 11:48 AM in response to Christoph Drösser

Unfortunately, that didn't work. Now the new folder only gives sporadic and incomplete search results too.

Could it have to do with the fact that the folder is in Dropbox and I have the "smart sync" feature turned on? Although I made sure that the complete folder ist downloaded to my hard drive and not only in the cloud.

Problem with Spotlight search in one specific folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.