You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Hardware

HI! I just got an apple TV from a friend, they didn't have a remote that went with it. I can't connect the apple TV to my network or my phone without a remote. What can I do?

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 9:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 9:43 AM

What is the model Apple TV? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Find your Apple TV model number - Apple Support

You’ll need to connect to the same home network, before the software remote can be used. If you can’t borrow a remote to do these initial steps, then you may want to purchase a replacement remote.

If you lost the remote for your Apple TV - Apple Support

Set up the Apple TV Remote on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

The Apple TV (4th generation or later) should be straight-forward to pair with, as described, if both devices are already on the same home network. Else you will need a functional remote to set up the network first.

The Apple TV (3rd generation) needs a functional remote to set up the Apple TV Remote widget in Control Center.

For the Apple TV (3rd generation), your options are:

The Apple TV (2nd generation) is not compatible with the Apple TV Remote widget in Control Center.

For the Apple TV (2nd generation), your option is:

• buy a replacement Apple Remote (aluminum).
1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 9, 2023 9:43 AM in response to isaacpen12

What is the model Apple TV? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Find your Apple TV model number - Apple Support

You’ll need to connect to the same home network, before the software remote can be used. If you can’t borrow a remote to do these initial steps, then you may want to purchase a replacement remote.

If you lost the remote for your Apple TV - Apple Support

Set up the Apple TV Remote on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

The Apple TV (4th generation or later) should be straight-forward to pair with, as described, if both devices are already on the same home network. Else you will need a functional remote to set up the network first.

The Apple TV (3rd generation) needs a functional remote to set up the Apple TV Remote widget in Control Center.

For the Apple TV (3rd generation), your options are:

The Apple TV (2nd generation) is not compatible with the Apple TV Remote widget in Control Center.

For the Apple TV (2nd generation), your option is:

• buy a replacement Apple Remote (aluminum).

Apple TV Hardware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.