You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos crashing when attempting to import library

I have Ventura 13.2 with Photos 8 installed. I am trying to import a photo library into my system library. When I select the library I want to import into the system library (which is the one that is open), and then select Review Import, the system crashes. Any ideas what to do? Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 11, 2023 9:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 1:04 PM

The library had about 44,000 photos with many duplicates. I erased all by 1000 photos and tried the merge again. Photos crashed again. I did try to repair both the photo libraries before merging. That did not help either. I don't think I can do any importing of libraries, no matter the size.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 13, 2023 1:04 PM in response to léonie

The library had about 44,000 photos with many duplicates. I erased all by 1000 photos and tried the merge again. Photos crashed again. I did try to repair both the photo libraries before merging. That did not help either. I don't think I can do any importing of libraries, no matter the size.

Feb 11, 2023 12:30 PM in response to mbktj

Is the library you want to import a large library? Then Photos may be crashing, because it is running out of memory. In that case it would help to split the library in two smaller libraries: How to Split a Photos Library and Preserve the Albums, Metadata, and Adjustments - Apple Community

Where is the library located, that you want to import? If it is on an external volume. Make sure the volume is compatible with Photos, as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Feb 13, 2023 10:23 PM in response to mbktj

You did not yet tell me, where the library is, that you want to import. is it in your Pictures folder or on an external drive? If the library is not in your Pictures folder, copy it to the Pictures folder, then try again.

If Photos keeps crashing, when you try to import the library, there may be damaged video or image file in the library, that cannot be imported.

To avoid to import damaged files, you could try to open the library package and copy the folder "originals" out, then import in small groups from this copied folder.

Try this:

• Hold down the CTRL-key while you click the library you want to import from.
  • Then use the command "Show package content"
  • When the Finder window opens to show the folders inside, hold down the options key ⌥ while dragging the "originals" folder to the Picture folder to copy it there.

Now try to import small groups from the copied folder into your Photos Library, to check, if this can be imported.

Any file, that is not compatible with Photos8 should give an error message. Then skip it and try other files.

Photos crashing when attempting to import library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.