You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 2008 iMac, what is the easiest way to use it as a monitor for a Mac mini

I have a 2008 IMac and would like to use it as a monitor for my Mac min. What is the easiest way to do this?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 12, 2023 7:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 5:33 AM

booupdates wrote:

I would like to use my 2008 iMac as a monitor for the Mac mini....

Once again, the 2008 iMac cannot be used as a display, period. There are no software hacks, tweaks, or magic wands to make it work as a stand alone display. It does not matter what you are trying to connect it to. It simply cannot be used as a display!

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 17, 2023 5:33 AM in response to booupdates

booupdates wrote:

I would like to use my 2008 iMac as a monitor for the Mac mini....

Once again, the 2008 iMac cannot be used as a display, period. There are no software hacks, tweaks, or magic wands to make it work as a stand alone display. It does not matter what you are trying to connect it to. It simply cannot be used as a display!

Feb 12, 2023 8:00 PM in response to booupdates

booupdates Said:

"I have a 2008 iMac, what is the easiest way to use it as a monitor for a Mac mini: I have a 2008 IMac and would like to use it as a monitor for my Mac min. What is the easiest way to do this?"

-------

Target Disk Mode:

No. Target Disk Mode is what was always able to be used. You cannot use it on a M1 Mac, nor Catalina and after. Go here: Use your iMac as a Display with Target Display Mode - Apple Support

I have a 2008 iMac, what is the easiest way to use it as a monitor for a Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.