You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't login to macbook pro on Ventura

Background, logged in to MacBook Pro and was having issues with Microsoft Teams so I rebooted in the hope that would help. But upon login, the password would not be accepted.

At the Login screen - enter the correct password 3 times.

-- It lets me the account is locked and to try again in x minutes.

-- So I click the "If you forgot your password, you can... reset it using your Apple ID"

-- Mac restarts to black screen titles Reset Password

-- enter Apple ID and password

-- enter verification code

-- See message "Recovering FileVault key"

-- See message "The supplied iCloud account was unable to unlock this volume."

Reboot into Recovery mode

-- Click user account

-- Entered every possible permutation of the password without luck.

Click Forgot all Passwords

-- See message "Authentication succeeded"

-- Open terminal and enter "resetpassword"

-- Opens a modal title Reset Password

-- click "I forgot my password"

-- enter verification code

-- See message "The supplied iCloud account was unable to unlock this volume."

Reopen terminal and enter "resetpassword"

-- click "My password doesn't work when logging in"

-- "select a user you know password for" (there is only 1 user account)

-- enter password

-- see message "this user has been temporarily locked. try again later"

From Recovery mode I clicked reinstalled Ventura, but need password to continue installation.

I have logged into appleid.apple.com and the device is linked to this appleID.

I have tryed every other AppleID my company use, all the others say "This Mac is linked to a different AppleID".

Any other thoughts?

It looks like the only option forwards is to wipe the drive and reinstall everything, a real pain but luckily now work is saved on this machine so just a matter of re-installing software.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 5:49 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 14, 2023 3:43 AM in response to cucocreative

The " Owner Account of this computer "  has that privilege to add, remove, upgrade or downgrade accounts. This would include adding more Admin Accounts and / or downgrading an ADDED Admin account 

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Normally the " Owner Account  " is the very first Account used when the Computer was Very First Setup as New and out of the box.

Adding additional Admin Account can be done there after.

Below link all provide additional insights about the Difference between Admin Accounts and Owner Accounts  

https://eclecticlight.co/2021/07/18/last-week-on-my-mac-the-perils-of-m1-ownership/

Feb 13, 2023 7:07 AM in response to cucocreative

cucocreative wrote:

Background, logged in to MacBook Pro and was having issues with Microsoft Teams so I rebooted in the hope that would help. But upon login, the password would not be accepted.

Any other thoughts?

It looks like the only option forwards is to wipe the drive and reinstall everything, a real pain but luckily now work is saved on this machine so just a matter of re-installing software.

I would call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Feb 14, 2023 3:16 AM in response to cucocreative

As we needed to get this laptop back into a usable state we had not alternative but to nuke-and-path.

Erased the whole HHD and reinstalled the OS - this time NOT enabling FileFault.

The onboarding process still was asking for the password from the old install. Ended up having to wipe whatever end-to-end encypted data was linked to whatever account the mac thought was linked to it.

Now just going though the process of installing all the software - so far so good.

Still don't understand why the AppleID would not unlock the account when that's the purpose of the AppleID when you "forgot" your login password.

Feb 14, 2023 3:58 AM in response to PRP_53

There was only one account on the laptop, the one I set up after I purchased the laptop secondhand. At the time, I wiped the drive and installed everything fresh. There was only one AppleID associated to the laptop which is why I don't understand why it would not unlock the device. I normally don't turn on FileVault, but if I do I always save the keys to my password manager, but I never was given the opportunity to enter this - which the apple support articles said is an option to reset "forgotten' passwords.

But all this is moot now as I've wiped the device and started fresh.

can't login to macbook pro on Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.