You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Xs Max > iOS16.3 frequent long screen freezes

Immediately after upgrading my iPhone Xs Max to iOS16.3 (I had been on the iOS version immediately prior to v16.3) the screen began experiencing frequent intermittent periods of totally nonresponsive behavior, which can be lengthy. Restarting does not help. Went to local Apple Store and they ran diagnostics, found nothing, wiped the phone, reinstalled iOS16.3, restored from Backup, and I still have the same issue. I've not installed any new apps or do anything different than before the "upgrade" to v 16.3. The screen freezes happen at any time with or without any apps running. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to roll back the iOS to something that works. I use this phone in my work too and it needs to function correctly.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 6:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2023 4:26 PM

Hey PokeyBT,

We'd be happy to help out. We do understand you've already worked with Apple on this matter and they've already determined there's no hardware issues with your iPhone.

With that being said, there was a recent update released, so we'd suggest backing up and updating to iOS 16.3.1 and seeing if things improve. If not, you're going to be best supported by continuing to work with Apple on this from here.

For help backing up and updating your iPhone, please complete these steps:

Update your iPhone or iPad wirelessly
1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
4. If you see more than one software update option available, choose the one that you want to install.
The Settings app on iPhone showing options to update to iOS 15.7 or iOS 16.
5. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do.

This is outlined further here: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 14, 2023 4:26 PM in response to PokeyBT

Hey PokeyBT,

We'd be happy to help out. We do understand you've already worked with Apple on this matter and they've already determined there's no hardware issues with your iPhone.

With that being said, there was a recent update released, so we'd suggest backing up and updating to iOS 16.3.1 and seeing if things improve. If not, you're going to be best supported by continuing to work with Apple on this from here.

For help backing up and updating your iPhone, please complete these steps:

Update your iPhone or iPad wirelessly
1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
4. If you see more than one software update option available, choose the one that you want to install.
The Settings app on iPhone showing options to update to iOS 15.7 or iOS 16.
5. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do.

This is outlined further here: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

Feb 15, 2023 8:07 PM in response to ryane77

Screen freezes are back in addition to voice calls being extremely poor with crackling so bad as to make calls unintelligible. I would have hoped that Apple would spend at least some time with each iPhone model testing to make sure the release is good. Since I noticed the problem of screen freezes immediately after the upgrade to v16.3, it seems clear no testing was done, at least with my model Xs Max. Likewise, when I upgraded to v16.3.1 it appeared to fix the screen freezes but the phone call quality was bad from the start. Now, after a day, screen freezes are back and phone calls are bad. Please TEST BEFORE RELEASE!!!!! I work in the medical field and must have a working phone. Given the poor quality releases, I don't think I want another iPhone. Hopefully they fix this quickly before I'm forced to purchase a phone for no other reason than Apple botching an iOS release.

iPhone Xs Max > iOS16.3 frequent long screen freezes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.