You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Catalina security

If I am running a Mac Mini (2012) on Catalina (10.15.7). Should I be worried about security issues since Apple no longer supports or provides updates? Is it just time to upgrade to a newer Mac? Just never considered it b/c my Mini is still doing so great! Thanks.

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 7:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 7:21 PM

NonTechieGranny Said:

"macOS Catalina security: If I am running a Mac Mini (2012) on Catalina (10.15.7). Should I be worried about security issues since Apple no longer supports or provides updates? Is it just time to upgrade to a newer Mac? Just never considered it b/c my Mini is still doing so great! Thanks."

-------

When to Get a Mac:

A. It's time for a New Mac:

Your Mac is more than a decade old. So, I'd say it's time to upgrade. With no more support you are vulnerable to bugs and such.

B. Time-Limitation:

Note that Mac devices typically are supported for 7 years, and then updates for them are no longer available. So, getting a much newer Mac --one that is 5 years old or less is best, IMO.

C. Purchasing Third-Party Macs:

Avoid being Scammed: When purchasing from private party, have the seller go here: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your Mac - Apple Support. That is the site the seller needs to use prior to selling it to you. So, prior to handing over the money, make sure that you can sign in to iCloud on this account, prior to handing over the money. If the seller decides to disabide by those rules you've set forth, then do NOT proceed with the transaction.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 13, 2023 7:21 PM in response to NonTechieGranny

NonTechieGranny Said:

"macOS Catalina security: If I am running a Mac Mini (2012) on Catalina (10.15.7). Should I be worried about security issues since Apple no longer supports or provides updates? Is it just time to upgrade to a newer Mac? Just never considered it b/c my Mini is still doing so great! Thanks."

-------

When to Get a Mac:

A. It's time for a New Mac:

Your Mac is more than a decade old. So, I'd say it's time to upgrade. With no more support you are vulnerable to bugs and such.

B. Time-Limitation:

Note that Mac devices typically are supported for 7 years, and then updates for them are no longer available. So, getting a much newer Mac --one that is 5 years old or less is best, IMO.

C. Purchasing Third-Party Macs:

Avoid being Scammed: When purchasing from private party, have the seller go here: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your Mac - Apple Support. That is the site the seller needs to use prior to selling it to you. So, prior to handing over the money, make sure that you can sign in to iCloud on this account, prior to handing over the money. If the seller decides to disabide by those rules you've set forth, then do NOT proceed with the transaction.

macOS Catalina security

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.