You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to have multible Row heights between seperate Columns

I am making a table in Numbers. I want the Row height from 20pt (default) to 60 pts. But only in certain columns.

When I try to adjust, they all adjust across all the Columns.

Can I do this?

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Feb 14, 2023 12:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2023 2:02 PM

Hi BoPeep45,

a row will always have the same height for all columns, there is nothing you can do.

Also a column will always have the same width for all rows.

Each row / column can have different height / width.

What you can do is to merge two or more cells, that would look like this.

Select the cells that you want to merge and the do a right click on your mouse, in the menu you should see "Merge Cells".

Regards Ralf

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 14, 2023 2:02 PM in response to BoPeep45

Hi BoPeep45,

a row will always have the same height for all columns, there is nothing you can do.

Also a column will always have the same width for all rows.

Each row / column can have different height / width.

What you can do is to merge two or more cells, that would look like this.

Select the cells that you want to merge and the do a right click on your mouse, in the menu you should see "Merge Cells".

Regards Ralf

Feb 16, 2023 2:43 PM in response to BoPeep45

Hi BoPeep45,

glad that I could help.

But you should know that merging cells can create headaches.

As soon as cells are merged some functions will no longer work as expected.

If you merge a few cells in a row you can no longer hide any of the columns that have merged cells.

It is understandable because you would hide part of the merged cells but not the complete merged cell.

But still it makes you wonder why something is not working.

Also Sort will not work if you merge a few rows.

There may be more, but these are the one that I see frequently.

Regards Ralf

Feb 15, 2023 8:17 AM in response to BoPeep45

You might want to consider why you need this unusual formatting. Keep in mind that merging cells can cause unexpected behavior if you are doing calculations in your table. If you are just using it to display values, with no calculations, then merging should not be a problem. But if you are just displaying things then a table in Pages (or Keynote) might be a better solution.

SG

Feb 16, 2023 12:57 AM in response to Ralf-F

Thank you Ralf. That is what I needed to know. This community platform is great! I spent days going through tutorials video and books, and I could not find that answer. But, I wasn't looking under the keyword "merge".

Who knew? not me.

Thank you SG. I have no calculations to worry about. It is a workout chart, with my weight routine at the gym.

I want to have multible Row heights between seperate Columns

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.