You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Studio Display Simultaneously Support a Mac Mini & an iMac?

My Mac Mini M2 is connected to a Studio Display. This is my primary computer. Can I also connect my 2015 iMac to the Studio Display and not use the iMac screen? In essence I'd be using the iMac as an external drive. At present, the iMac is holding approx. 1T of content that's backed up to an external drive and the cloud. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Posted on Feb 15, 2023 5:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2023 12:54 PM

Best to post a fresh discussion on iMac - Apple Community as your questions are more relevant to that forum (and off-topic here). In the meanwhile, take a look at this Set up file sharing on Mac - Apple Support.

3 replies

Feb 15, 2023 10:16 AM in response to hcsitas

Thanks!

Yes, I'll move the iMac to another location. A few questions:

1) Can I keep the iMac 'on' and logged in to my local wireless network in order to access iMac files, folders, apps from the Mac Mini?

2) I know how to disable sleep. I'm not sure how to put the iMac display on a timer.

3) With the iMac on a timer, let's say 8AM-11PM daily, would that be the period I could access files/folders when I'm working on the Mini?

4) From the Mac Mini how would I identify folders/files on iMac?

5) I'm concluding there's no way to see the iMac desktop on the Studio Display.

Thanks again for your guidance.

Can Studio Display Simultaneously Support a Mac Mini & an iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.