You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing menu item

No "preferences" appear in my Safari menu on my Mac.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 15, 2023 2:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 10:00 AM

Sadly, I restarted my computer and no Preferences in Menu Bar for Safari. Then I restarted in Safe Mode, still not Preferences in Safari. Not sure what to do next. This problem was discovered while I was trying to empty my cache on my iMac. When I use the keyboard shortcuts for Safari Preferences it doesn't show me the options needed for following instructions to empty my cache. I am using Ventura on desktop iMac. Anyone have ideas on how to empty my cache? Thank you!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 17, 2023 10:00 AM in response to Jeff_888

Sadly, I restarted my computer and no Preferences in Menu Bar for Safari. Then I restarted in Safe Mode, still not Preferences in Safari. Not sure what to do next. This problem was discovered while I was trying to empty my cache on my iMac. When I use the keyboard shortcuts for Safari Preferences it doesn't show me the options needed for following instructions to empty my cache. I am using Ventura on desktop iMac. Anyone have ideas on how to empty my cache? Thank you!

Feb 16, 2023 5:46 PM in response to EileenAS

Hi EileenAS,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're missing the Safari Preferences option in your Safari menu options. You can try the shortcut Command-, to bring up the Preferences options as explained in this article: Keyboard shortcuts and gestures in Safari on Mac. You may also want to restart your Mac. Restarting can refresh macOS and apps. If that doesn't help, try booting in safe mode to see if the issue persists in this mode. Here's how if needed: Start up your Mac in safe mode.

"Starting up your Mac in safe mode can help you identify whether issues you’re experiencing are caused by software that loads as your Mac starts up.

Before you begin

To start up your Mac in safe mode, you need to know what type of Mac you have.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > About This Mac.
  2. Look at the information in the window to determine what type of Mac you have:
    • If you see an item labeled Chip, followed by the name of the chip, you have a Mac with Apple silicon.
    • If you see an item labeled Processor, followed by the name of an Intel processor, you have an Intel-based Mac.

3. Use the corresponding set of instructions below to start up your Mac in safe mode.

Start up your Mac with Apple silicon in safe mode

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down.
  2. Wait for your Mac to shut down completely. A Mac is completely shut down when the screen is black and any lights (including in the Touch Bar) are off.
  3. Press and hold the power button on your Mac until “Loading startup options” appears.
  4. Select a volume.
  5. Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.
  6. The computer restarts automatically. When the login window appears, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Start up your Intel-based Mac in safe mode

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key until you see the login window.
  2. Log in to your Mac.
  3. You might be asked to log in again.
  4. On either the first or second login window, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Verify your Mac started up in safe mode

If you’re unsure whether your Mac started up in safe mode, you can use the System Information app to check the mode.

1. On your Mac, press and hold the Option key, then choose Apple menu  > System Information.
  2. In the System Information app, select Software in the sidebar.
  3. In the System Software Overview, look at the value listed next to the item labeled Boot Mode.
    • Safe: The Mac is using safe mode.
    • Normal: The Mac is not using safe mode."

We hope this helps.

Take care.

Missing menu item

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.