You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I connect my USB superdrive to my Macbook air

how to connect USB SuperDrive to my MacBook Air using a USB-C Multimedia Hub? all plugged in nothing works

Posted on Feb 15, 2023 3:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2023 4:17 PM

a superdrive will not work if connected through a hub or dock. you need to connect it direct. and with Macs that only have USB-C (TB3) ports, you need an USB-C to USB Adapter to connect it direct.

10 replies

Feb 15, 2023 4:49 PM in response to frederic179

frederic179 wrote:

jefferythefrog: as it happens I have USB-C to USB Adaptor.

is it the apple branded adapter? or is it 3rd party? I have seen a couple times where the superdrive didn't work properly with a third party adapter, but then worked properly with the apple branded adapter.

I have the driver working, but it does not show up in the launch pad.

it won't show up in launch pad. depending on your finder preferences, it will show up in the finder sidebar and / or your desktop once a disc is inserted.

it clicks a lot and then kicks out the disk.

that could be due to a 3rd party adapter. but, if yours is the apple branded adapter, the superdrive may be faulty.

Is there a way to show that the superdrive is working in the tool tray?

the easiest way would be to put either an audio CD or a video DVD in the player and see if it plays. but first, go into System Settings > CDs & DVDs and set your settings this way:

how do I connect my USB superdrive to my Macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.