You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I restore a user from a Time Machine backup to an external hard drive?

I have an old Time Machine backup. The backup includes a user that I no longer have on my computer. I deleted it about a year ago.

I want to restore that user, but I don't have enough room on my main hard disk to do so. Can I restore the user from the Time Machine backup to an external hard disk? How would I do that?

I'm running MacOS Big Sur, which is the most recent version of MacOS supported by my computer.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 10:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 10:49 AM

Yes. Navigate to that Mac's Users folder (example below) then "Enter Time Machine."

In the TM interface, navigate "back in time" to the date that User Account last existed. Click the "reveal triangle" or open that folder to show its contents. Locate and select that User Account and control-click (or two-finger tap) to summon the contextual menu, in which you will find "Restore <item> To..."

That will exit the TM interface and show the standard macOS dialog prompting for the location to restore that item.

What you do with it after that may prove more challenging because its contents are likely to be protected from alteration without that User Account's login information. The way you might need to go about it would be to first install macOS on that external disk, boot from it, then when asked if you want to migrate information from another Mac or its Time Machine backup, follow the above instructions.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 16, 2023 10:49 AM in response to Andrew Shalit

Yes. Navigate to that Mac's Users folder (example below) then "Enter Time Machine."

In the TM interface, navigate "back in time" to the date that User Account last existed. Click the "reveal triangle" or open that folder to show its contents. Locate and select that User Account and control-click (or two-finger tap) to summon the contextual menu, in which you will find "Restore <item> To..."

That will exit the TM interface and show the standard macOS dialog prompting for the location to restore that item.

What you do with it after that may prove more challenging because its contents are likely to be protected from alteration without that User Account's login information. The way you might need to go about it would be to first install macOS on that external disk, boot from it, then when asked if you want to migrate information from another Mac or its Time Machine backup, follow the above instructions.

Can I restore a user from a Time Machine backup to an external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.