You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung SSD Folder size

I just bought a Samsung portable SSD T7 Touch 2 TB. Reformatted it to APFS, and I'm running Monterey 12.6.3 on My MacBook Pro . I then reinstalled the Samsung portable SSD software 1.0, and I then imported an iTunes library. All of the data appears to have imported but the SSD’s window showing folders does not display their sizes individually (just two hyphens for each) with the exception of the Music Library file with 17.2 MB. At the bottom of the window it says One Item with 1.25 TB available. This is accurate for all the folders combined. I can use Get Info to see folder sizes but that's kind of a hassle. I have a Seagate external hard drive and a Sandisk portable SSD. Both show the folder sizes just fine after reformatting to APFS.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 12:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 12:45 PM

View menu > Show View Options >

Select Calculate all sizes

If that does not work I have no explanation.

I then reinstalled the Samsung portable SSD software 1.0,

You ought not to need any third party software just to use an external SSD. Try uninstalling it. Be sure to follow its uninstallation instructions, assuming they exist, and that they work.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 16, 2023 12:45 PM in response to rddemoss

View menu > Show View Options >

Select Calculate all sizes

If that does not work I have no explanation.

I then reinstalled the Samsung portable SSD software 1.0,

You ought not to need any third party software just to use an external SSD. Try uninstalling it. Be sure to follow its uninstallation instructions, assuming they exist, and that they work.

Feb 16, 2023 12:56 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks for responding. Before submitting my question, just to try something different, I reformatted the SSD to APFS again but did not install the Samsung software. Same result. I then reformatted the SSD to exfat without installing the Samsung software. Same result. I didn't uninstall anything prior to the reformatting because I thought reformatting wiped it. Have I missed a step?

Samsung SSD Folder size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.