You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos On Mac Monterey is confused about Referenced Photos

My photos library does not have any referenced files, per the Photos app file menu. iCloud photos is currently off. However, when I go to preferences, iCloud, and check the iCloud Photos button, I get a warning that 17 referenced files in my library will not be uploaded to iCloud. How do I clean up the mismatch about referenced files? I have already performed the Photos database repair/rebuild, but that did not fix the problem.

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 10:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 11:31 AM

Try another smart album as well, with the rule "Photo > is > unable to upload to iCloud Photos".

When you Photos Library has become damaged, Photos may not be able to access all original image files, and they may erroneously be reported as missing referenced files.

Possible reasons for missing original images:

• Running unsafe cleaning apps to remove duplicate images
  • Turning off iCloud Photos without downloading all original image files
  • Keeping the Photos Library on an external volume with an incompatible file system format or copying the library from an incorrectly formatted drive

Could any of this apply? Then your best bet would be to restore your Photos Library from a backup you made when the library has still been working correctly.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 17, 2023 11:31 AM in response to Rob1sonjr

Try another smart album as well, with the rule "Photo > is > unable to upload to iCloud Photos".

When you Photos Library has become damaged, Photos may not be able to access all original image files, and they may erroneously be reported as missing referenced files.

Possible reasons for missing original images:

• Running unsafe cleaning apps to remove duplicate images
  • Turning off iCloud Photos without downloading all original image files
  • Keeping the Photos Library on an external volume with an incompatible file system format or copying the library from an incorrectly formatted drive

Could any of this apply? Then your best bet would be to restore your Photos Library from a backup you made when the library has still been working correctly.

Photos On Mac Monterey is confused about Referenced Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.