You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I find out if an ipad was stolen?

My friend bought a used iPad. the seller forgot to log out of the apple ID. Is there anyway we can confirm it wasn't stolen and sold by the actual owner?

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 5:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 6:02 PM

Ask the seller to remove it from their account. If it was stolen, they'll likely either block you or claim to have lost the information.

In general, there isn't an absolute way to tell, but units sold for an unusually cheap price, from random people on the street, or someone newly-registered on a site such as eBay are likely to be.

(234854)

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 17, 2023 6:02 PM in response to NorthDakotaAppleuser

Ask the seller to remove it from their account. If it was stolen, they'll likely either block you or claim to have lost the information.

In general, there isn't an absolute way to tell, but units sold for an unusually cheap price, from random people on the street, or someone newly-registered on a site such as eBay are likely to be.

(234854)

Feb 17, 2023 6:06 PM in response to NorthDakotaAppleuser

Hello ~ Can your friend contact the seller? If the person/persons that your friend bought the iPad from cannot or will not remove it …the iPad is basically useless to you. If they cannot/will not remove it…return it and get their money back. We cannot help remove it nor can Apple. Take a look here:

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Also:

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a Used iPad/iPhone

~Katana-San~

Can I find out if an ipad was stolen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.