You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Videos not playing on external TV when connected through HDMI

Hi,

this happens only on my m1 macbook air and not on my intel macbook pro.

If I try to play a video (youtube, netflix, you name it) on external TV this won't work.

I saw another user asked for the same issuee (Macbook Pro M1 cannot stream Youtube or a… - Apple Community).

Any help?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 5:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 10:09 PM

Hi Craigtech,

thank you for your answer.

What I understood that it really happens is that video are being played REALLY fast.

I already tried different cables and adapters. Everything works with my 2020 intel macbook pro, nothing with my m1 macbook air. I tried different setup (external and extended display), nothing changes.

What I found out is the main issue has got to do with the audio: if I change my audio output to another device (macbook's speakers, bluetooth, etc) it all works. It just stops working when if I use my TV audio output.

I found online others suffering from the same bugs, but the alleged solution didn't work for me:

Safari - Video Playback, fast forward, in… - Apple Community

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 18, 2023 10:09 PM in response to Craigtech

Hi Craigtech,

thank you for your answer.

What I understood that it really happens is that video are being played REALLY fast.

I already tried different cables and adapters. Everything works with my 2020 intel macbook pro, nothing with my m1 macbook air. I tried different setup (external and extended display), nothing changes.

What I found out is the main issue has got to do with the audio: if I change my audio output to another device (macbook's speakers, bluetooth, etc) it all works. It just stops working when if I use my TV audio output.

I found online others suffering from the same bugs, but the alleged solution didn't work for me:

Safari - Video Playback, fast forward, in… - Apple Community

Feb 18, 2023 8:38 PM in response to danipanz

What you are trying to do definitely works.... but....

your success depends on the TV, the HDMI cable, and the HDMI adaptor you are using from your Macbook.

There are different versions of HDMI and if only one of your components is old or incompatible then nothing will work.

(Search for "wikipedia hdmi version" if you want to know more)

Try another cable - that's the easiest... followed by another HDMI adaptor/dock.

You should be able to see the external display in Settings > Displays.

If that is the case, then you can set the type you need (mirror or another display) and simply use it.

It isn't a browser or software thing - as I do this all the time with Youtube.

And one other thing... make sure the HDMI cable is fully inserted. I have had many customers with slightly damaged or stressed HDMI plugs or sockets that are very fiddly to insert correctly.

Videos not playing on external TV when connected through HDMI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.