You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trouble transferring selected songs in music on Mac to music on iphone13.

I am unable to transfer selected songs and artist (not purchased from Apple, but downloaded from CD) from Music on my MAC (Ventura 13.2.1) to Music on my Iphone13 (IOS 16.3.1). Anyone have any suggestions? Additionally, album artwork on iPhone is now screwed up after I tried.

Posted on Feb 19, 2023 11:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 7:10 PM

Greetings Travel Lover,

To ensure that you are syncing music as expected, please review the following steps:

"Sync music to your device

1. Connect your device to your Mac.
  2. You can connect your device using a USB or USB-C cable or using a Wi-Fi connection. See Sync content between your Mac and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch over Wi-Fi.
  3. In the Finder  on your Mac, select the device in the Finder sidebar.
  4. If you connect your device to your Mac using a USB cable and don’t see the device in the Finder sidebar, see If your device doesn’t appear in the sidebar
  5. Click Music in the button bar.
  6. Select the “Sync music onto [device name]” checkbox to turn on syncing of your music.
  7. With the checkbox selected, syncing is set to transfer all your music to your device. 
  8. To sync a selection of music, click “Selected playlist, artists, albums, and genres.”
  9. Select the checkbox for each item you want to sync in the music list. Deselect the checkbox for any item you don’t want to sync.
  10. Click Artists, Albums, Genres, or Playlists to see your content organized by that category. 
  11. Select syncing options: 
  12. When you’re ready to sync, click Apply.

You can choose to sync your Mac and your device automatically whenever you connect them. See Turn automatic syncing on or off on Mac.

Before disconnecting your device from your Mac, click the Eject button  in the Finder sidebar." Sync music between your Mac and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you are using these steps and still unable to transfer your music, consider offering additional details to help the community guide you to a resolution.

• What exactly is happening?
  • Do you use Apple Music?
  • Do you see any error messages?

We hope this helps resolve the issue, so you can listen to your tunes on your iPhone.

Best wishes.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 20, 2023 7:10 PM in response to Travel Lover

Greetings Travel Lover,

To ensure that you are syncing music as expected, please review the following steps:

"Sync music to your device

1. Connect your device to your Mac.
  2. You can connect your device using a USB or USB-C cable or using a Wi-Fi connection. See Sync content between your Mac and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch over Wi-Fi.
  3. In the Finder  on your Mac, select the device in the Finder sidebar.
  4. If you connect your device to your Mac using a USB cable and don’t see the device in the Finder sidebar, see If your device doesn’t appear in the sidebar
  5. Click Music in the button bar.
  6. Select the “Sync music onto [device name]” checkbox to turn on syncing of your music.
  7. With the checkbox selected, syncing is set to transfer all your music to your device. 
  8. To sync a selection of music, click “Selected playlist, artists, albums, and genres.”
  9. Select the checkbox for each item you want to sync in the music list. Deselect the checkbox for any item you don’t want to sync.
  10. Click Artists, Albums, Genres, or Playlists to see your content organized by that category. 
  11. Select syncing options: 
  12. When you’re ready to sync, click Apply.

You can choose to sync your Mac and your device automatically whenever you connect them. See Turn automatic syncing on or off on Mac.

Before disconnecting your device from your Mac, click the Eject button  in the Finder sidebar." Sync music between your Mac and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you are using these steps and still unable to transfer your music, consider offering additional details to help the community guide you to a resolution.

• What exactly is happening?
  • Do you use Apple Music?
  • Do you see any error messages?

We hope this helps resolve the issue, so you can listen to your tunes on your iPhone.

Best wishes.

Feb 20, 2023 7:40 PM in response to JessS19

Thank so much JessS19 for responding. I have done all of that specified above multiple times to try and transfer. I receive no error messages and sometimes it even shows the selected songs being transferred. However, unless it was purchased from Apple Music , there is no transfer. I do all of the above, I sync, my phone gets backed up, everything looks normal... but no transfer of checked items. I'm pretty much at a loss.

Feb 21, 2023 9:32 AM in response to Travel Lover

Hi Travel Lover,

Thank you for letting us know. Even though you haven't mentioned a specific error code, let's try the steps from: If you see error -5000, -69, 13010, or 13014 when you sync music from your Mac.

1. Update your software
Make sure that your Mac is updated to the latest version of macOS and your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is updated to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS. If you're using macOS Mojave or earlier, make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes. Then try to sync again.

2. Consolidate the media files in your music library
The media files in your music library might be stored in several locations. Consolidate your files to make sure that the content is stored in one location, then try to sync again.
Consolidating your files can correct permissions and simplify the syncing process.

3. Check for issues with third-party security software
Some third-party software, including security software, can interfere with the sync process between your computer and your device. Change your security software's setup and then try to sync again.

Take care.

Feb 23, 2023 2:21 PM in response to melissa_m77

Thank you Melissa_m77. I consolidated the files and checked everything. I synced. I receive no error messages. There is no transfer. My phone gets backed up, everything looks normal... but no transfer of checked items. It also does not show any transfer of items going on during the sync. Thanks for trying to help. Guess I'm going to break down and contact Apple Support.

trouble transferring selected songs in music on Mac to music on iphone13.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.