You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help upgrading

I have a 2009, iMac 27-inch with a ton of memory (700+gb free). OS X El Capitan ver 10.11.6 and cannot get my APP Store to come up so that I can upgrade the OS. I use this for simple things, purchased from work used.

Any suggestions on how to get it to upgrade? Recommendations for which OS I should upgrade to would be appreciated.

Thanks

:)

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 2:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 2:36 PM

A 2009 iMac can be upgraded to High Sierra 10.13.6 but no later. See the following from Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009)

Model Identifier: iMac10,1

Part Number: MB952xx/A, MB953xx/A

Latest compatible operating system: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

To upgrade, see the High Sierra link and instructions in How to download macOS - Apple Support

Since High Sierra will not support the current version of Safari, for security reasons I would also consider using a 3rd part browser that does support their current version. Two examples are Chrome and Firefox.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 22, 2023 2:36 PM in response to BeHug

A 2009 iMac can be upgraded to High Sierra 10.13.6 but no later. See the following from Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009)

Model Identifier: iMac10,1

Part Number: MB952xx/A, MB953xx/A

Latest compatible operating system: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

To upgrade, see the High Sierra link and instructions in How to download macOS - Apple Support

Since High Sierra will not support the current version of Safari, for security reasons I would also consider using a 3rd part browser that does support their current version. Two examples are Chrome and Firefox.

Feb 22, 2023 2:59 PM in response to BeHug

BeHug Said:

"Any suggestions on how to get it to upgrade? Recommendations for which OS I should upgrade to would be appreciated."

-------

See if this helps...

Upgrading the macOS:

Determining which Upgrade(s) will Install:

I. Verify Compatibility:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

See if the Model you found is shown here:

III. If Compatible:

Back Up your Mac First:  Be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reconfiguration.

Need help upgrading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.