You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I charge overnight with 60% battery?

My iPhone 14 Pro Max gets to the end of the day with 60% battery left. Should I still charge it overnight every night, or leave it for the next day, risking going below 20% and/or making it harder for the Optimised Battery Charging to adjust to my routine?

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 23, 2023 6:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2023 8:42 AM

Hello!

When the phone is fully charged, it is no longer accepting power until the phone drops below 100%. If the phone is in sleep mode and idle all night, it should only accept minimal levels of power. Modern smartphones are very clever with charging nowadays.

iPhones have multiple features which can extend battery lifespan in regards to overnight charging. There's "Optimized Battery Charging", which will learn your routine so that the phone will only charge to 80%, then stop, then finish charging closer to when you wake up.

Another cool feature that limits how much the phone charges at night is "Clean Energy Charging", which only accepts power when the energy from your local power grid is "clean".

You can read about these features here:

About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

Use Clean Energy Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

Hope this helps!

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 24, 2023 8:42 AM in response to mahmud67

Hello!

When the phone is fully charged, it is no longer accepting power until the phone drops below 100%. If the phone is in sleep mode and idle all night, it should only accept minimal levels of power. Modern smartphones are very clever with charging nowadays.

iPhones have multiple features which can extend battery lifespan in regards to overnight charging. There's "Optimized Battery Charging", which will learn your routine so that the phone will only charge to 80%, then stop, then finish charging closer to when you wake up.

Another cool feature that limits how much the phone charges at night is "Clean Energy Charging", which only accepts power when the energy from your local power grid is "clean".

You can read about these features here:

About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

Use Clean Energy Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

Hope this helps!

Feb 23, 2023 6:31 PM in response to facundofarall

You could totally leave it overnight if you want to, the phone is easily a 2 day phone in my experience. That would probably be the "healthier" option for the battery, as charging produces heat, and heat is bad for batteries.

However you probably don't need to worry about charging overnight or not, because the battery should last multiple years just fine with normal usage, and it can be replaced.

For some more information, see here:

iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Feb 24, 2023 9:13 AM in response to mahmud67

mahmud67 wrote:

Charging overnight has proven to damage the battery lifespan . To be on the safe side just go to sleep. With a At least 80% then as soon you wake up you can plug it again before you’re done with your morning routine it’ll be 100

That is completely, totally, utterly NOT TRUE. Using Optimized Battery Charging and charging at night, EVERY night will NEVER hurt the battery on iPhone.

You suggest it's common logic. It is NOT. Maybe you should read on it --> When to charge your iPhone or iPad - Apple Community

Should I charge overnight with 60% battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.