You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Install macOS Monterey.app" keeps downloading itself on my computer even though I am on macOS Ventura.

Hi, as stated in the title, the macOS Monterey install application keeps downloading itself onto my computer despite me being on the OS after Monterey. This behaviour has been happening since I was on Catalina, but it's annoying to continue now. The application itself is sizeable and it sends me notifications to upgrade, which have been annoying. I have "Download new updates when available" and "Install macOS updates" turned off in Settings.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 23, 2023 6:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 1:51 PM

I have seen this happen but it is rare.

The Software on the Apple Servers sometimes mis-identify what is actually installed on the computer.

As said rare, but does happens

Would suggest gathering up as much details of the computer including the above Screen Shot.

Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.

Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues.

Perhaps they can escalate this issue to the Apple Software Engineers   for them to investigate this matter

In the interim - If possible ( Space Wise ) keep the Install Monterey application in the Applications folder until the Apple gets this sorted out.

Going this way, keeping the Installer around, hopefully this will stop the Apple Servers from re-downloading it Time and Time Again and using up your Bandwidth

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 27, 2023 1:51 PM in response to camp-bell

I have seen this happen but it is rare.

The Software on the Apple Servers sometimes mis-identify what is actually installed on the computer.

As said rare, but does happens

Would suggest gathering up as much details of the computer including the above Screen Shot.

Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.

Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues.

Perhaps they can escalate this issue to the Apple Software Engineers   for them to investigate this matter

In the interim - If possible ( Space Wise ) keep the Install Monterey application in the Applications folder until the Apple gets this sorted out.

Going this way, keeping the Installer around, hopefully this will stop the Apple Servers from re-downloading it Time and Time Again and using up your Bandwidth

Mar 18, 2023 3:10 PM in response to camp-bell

I had the same problem , and the way i fixed it was contacting the support who gave me instruction to block safari popups and gave me this link: Block pop-up ads and windows in Safari - Apple Support

and then to delete that downloaded file "install macOs Monterey.app" and reboot in safe mode How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

and then it didn't appear again.

hope that this help anyone who has the same issue

"Install macOS Monterey.app" keeps downloading itself on my computer even though I am on macOS Ventura.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.