You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change apple id on macbook air for just one user

I have 2 users set up on my MacBook Air running macOS Monterey. Right now they are both set up with the same Apple ID. I would like to disconnect one of the MacBook users from that Apple ID. If I log out one of the users from that Apple ID, will the other user still stay connected to that Apple ID? I don't want to lose everything on the main user when I log out of the secondary user.

Thanks!

MacBook Air (M2)

Posted on Feb 24, 2023 1:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2023 2:21 PM

Hi PGAdams,

Logging out of an Apple ID for one user account would not effect any changes on the other. When signing out you may see a prompt to keep or delete the information for that user that's associated with the Apple ID but again, this should have no bearing on the second account. Sign in or out of your Apple ID on Mac details these steps further:

"Sign out of your Apple ID

Sign out of your Apple ID account to prevent others from accessing your account information and Apple services on your Mac—when you sell or give away your computer, for example. See the Apple Support article What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click [your name] at the top of the sidebar.
  2. Click Sign Out.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions for copying and downloading your data stored in iCloud. For more information about signing out of your Apple ID, see If you sign out of your Apple ID settings."

Regards.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 26, 2023 2:21 PM in response to PGAdams

Hi PGAdams,

Logging out of an Apple ID for one user account would not effect any changes on the other. When signing out you may see a prompt to keep or delete the information for that user that's associated with the Apple ID but again, this should have no bearing on the second account. Sign in or out of your Apple ID on Mac details these steps further:

"Sign out of your Apple ID

Sign out of your Apple ID account to prevent others from accessing your account information and Apple services on your Mac—when you sell or give away your computer, for example. See the Apple Support article What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click [your name] at the top of the sidebar.
  2. Click Sign Out.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions for copying and downloading your data stored in iCloud. For more information about signing out of your Apple ID, see If you sign out of your Apple ID settings."

Regards.

How to change apple id on macbook air for just one user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.