You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch not reading heart rate continually during workout

I'm using apple watch ultra in the last few months now. My heart rate reading have a lot of gaps during workout. Both in running and in swimming.

I previously add apple watch 7 and the reading was much more stable.

I read some feedback that it is related to the outside temperature but I'm not sure it is the case.

I can't find any correlation between the outside temp and the reading, it worked fine in 0 deg C and didn't properly work at much higher temp. The gaps are not only at the beginning but all along the workout, picture attached.

Is it an hardware problem in my device?

Posted on Feb 26, 2023 5:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 6:09 AM

Check the settings in My Watch, Workout that you do not have the "Reduced GPS & Heart..." turned on

The ultra also suffers from its size in sometimes being too loose and moving about. The other users who find this suggest wearing it for 15 minutes at least before working out and ensuring a snug fit. Should only be able to squeeze a pinkie in the inner wrist strap, and not an index finger. Warming up exercises may help too (Just sayin' - I have no problems myself on the smaller watches)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 28, 2023 6:09 AM in response to ronfromtel

Check the settings in My Watch, Workout that you do not have the "Reduced GPS & Heart..." turned on

The ultra also suffers from its size in sometimes being too loose and moving about. The other users who find this suggest wearing it for 15 minutes at least before working out and ensuring a snug fit. Should only be able to squeeze a pinkie in the inner wrist strap, and not an index finger. Warming up exercises may help too (Just sayin' - I have no problems myself on the smaller watches)

Apple Watch not reading heart rate continually during workout

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.