You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

find my app

why does the find my app never get my iphone location right?

Posted on Feb 26, 2023 2:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2023 2:58 PM

The Why: Find My works by sending regular positional updates to Apple servers that are derived from Wi-Fi, cellular data, and GPS signals. The location's accuracy would then be dependent on any one of those three things.

The iPhone scans for nearby Wi-Fi networks and send a snapshot of that information to the Apple servers. If this is your home's Wi-Fi network that would depend on your wireless router's WAN-side IP address that is provided by your ISP.

Another reason, would be if you have your iPhone connected via a VPN. This can "fool" the Apple servers to where your phone is located.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 26, 2023 2:58 PM in response to alondramserna

The Why: Find My works by sending regular positional updates to Apple servers that are derived from Wi-Fi, cellular data, and GPS signals. The location's accuracy would then be dependent on any one of those three things.

The iPhone scans for nearby Wi-Fi networks and send a snapshot of that information to the Apple servers. If this is your home's Wi-Fi network that would depend on your wireless router's WAN-side IP address that is provided by your ISP.

Another reason, would be if you have your iPhone connected via a VPN. This can "fool" the Apple servers to where your phone is located.

find my app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.