You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade reset MacBook Air mid 2012 from OS X Mountain Lion to Sierra / High Sierra

Hi everyone,

I´m about to sell my old MacBook Air from mid 2012 which was running on Sierra lately. After deleting all data via disk utility I re-installed the original OS X Mountain Lion. Before selling it I was trying to re-upgrade to the following OS X version to get back to Sierra or even High Sierra.

However, all updates available are concerning internal tools like Safari, App Store & Co. The one for iTunes is showing an error (1.02) and no upgrade to Mavericks, respectively all subsequent OS X versions. Does anyone have advice on that? What do people do who receive a reset MacBook in this situation?

Kind regards!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 8:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 9:12 AM

Your 2012 MacBook Air can run up to macOS 10.15 Catalina. If you feel the need to upgrade the Mac before selling it, then I would upgrade to that.

Please see: How to download macOS - Apple Support

Also see: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 28, 2023 11:20 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thank you very much! That "How to" link was very helpful!

To solve the problem I had to create two by-passes:

1. From OS X Mountain Lion it was not possible to open the link from Safari. Therefore I had to download a suitable version of Chrome first to install OS X Sierra (no Apple ID needed - direct download possible from your link)
  2. After installing Sierra I created a temporary new Apple ID (before that Mountain Lion was not able to connect to iCloud.com to verify the Apple ID - From there on in Sierra I was able to install Catalina

Problem solved!

Upgrade reset MacBook Air mid 2012 from OS X Mountain Lion to Sierra / High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.