You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I think there's a virus on my Mac...

Hi,

I launched my Mac Studio (macOS 13.2.1) today, and a banner on the rights popped up with the message: You have a virus! First time I ever see this.

I know there are app's such as Clean My Mac, but I do't want to install those on my Mac.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this or remove it? Thank you!

Mac Studio

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 11:45 AM

15 replies

Feb 28, 2023 12:07 PM in response to Imagine

You can manage Safari notifications from its settings (from the Menu Bar: Safari > Settings... > Websites).

Choose Notifications from the lefthand sidebar. You will see any active notifications and can select them and click the Remove button to disable them.

Please note: Pop-up windows and website content resembling pop-ups/notifications are not the same as what is listed in the above settings. These instructions only apply to system notifications sent from Websites through Safari.

You can ignore "fake" notifications with on the page (and probably remain from using the site) and you can manage pop-up windows directly under the notification settings mentioned above.

By default, Safari blocks pop-ups. You can learn more here: Allow or block pop-ups in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Feb 28, 2023 11:58 AM in response to Imagine

Do you have a screenshot you can provide? It would be helpful to know what the pop-up is. For example, whether it's a system notification or a Web browser pop-up (i.e. Safari, Chrome).

If it's coming from a Web browser, you can likely safely ignore it. Personally, I generally don't recommend third-party firewall/malware tools as they tend to have their own issues.

If the issue is a system notification, pop-up, or app, you'll want to isolate what it is and remove the offending app—and its related scripts and files—from your device.

Like Bob said, it is likely not a virus (they're fairly unlikely and don't usually announce themselves).

Feb 28, 2023 1:22 PM in response to Imagine

Bob, I think you're right, but how do I get rid of it? If I reinstall 13.2.1, will that get rid of it? Thanks

It's not on your Mac. It is on the website you visited. There is nothing to get rid of.

If you allowed a website to send you notifications, disable that as described.

If you are getting notifications like that from a website, don't go there again.

I think there's a virus on my Mac...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.