You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto on iPhone & iMac

I transferred my iphotos & videos from my iPhone to my desktop photo library. Going back to my iPhone when I began deleting photos & videos a message came up that deleting items would result in deletion across all my devices. Will you please explain that statement?

iPhone XR, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 10:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2023 5:58 AM

When you are using iCloud Photos on your iPhone and your iPhone and your Mac, iCloud Photos is automatically syncing all changes to the photo library across all devices, to keep the Photos Libraries identical on all your devices. If you delete a photo from your iPhone, it will be deleted in iCloud as well and also on your Mac. Otherwise your Photos Libraries would no longer be identical and in sync. Also, any photo you take on your iPhone will automatically appear on your Mac, any photo you import on your Mac will appear on your iPhone.

If you do not want the Photos Libraries on your iPhone and your Mac to be kept in sync and identical, you should not use iCloud Photos, as the syncing across all devices is the main purpose of iCloud.

Why are you using iCloud Photos? What do you want to achieve?

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 1, 2023 5:58 AM in response to janetfromneenah

When you are using iCloud Photos on your iPhone and your iPhone and your Mac, iCloud Photos is automatically syncing all changes to the photo library across all devices, to keep the Photos Libraries identical on all your devices. If you delete a photo from your iPhone, it will be deleted in iCloud as well and also on your Mac. Otherwise your Photos Libraries would no longer be identical and in sync. Also, any photo you take on your iPhone will automatically appear on your Mac, any photo you import on your Mac will appear on your iPhone.

If you do not want the Photos Libraries on your iPhone and your Mac to be kept in sync and identical, you should not use iCloud Photos, as the syncing across all devices is the main purpose of iCloud.

Why are you using iCloud Photos? What do you want to achieve?

iPhoto on iPhone & iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.