You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software update checks not possible

My MacBook Air is telling me for weeks now that an update to Ventura will be made during the night, but it never happens. I checked manually now the Software updates, but it keeps saying 'Unable to check for updates. Make sure you are connected to the internet' while I am constantly connected and doing all sorts of stuff via the internet??

Any idea what is wrong here? I've have shut down and started up again a couple of times.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Mar 1, 2023 4:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2023 6:27 PM

Eric, I think you maybe misread AdrianESNL's question. He says he is connected ("while I am constantly connected and doing all sorts of stuff via the internet??")...it's just that the Mac doesn't think it is for downloading operating system updates. I have the same problem. macOS 12.6.3 (21G419).

4 replies

Mar 2, 2023 6:11 PM in response to AdrianESNL

Hello AdrianESNL,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with your Mac connecting to Wi-Fi.

1. Please start by ensuring everything is followed in this help article: Connect your Mac to the internet - Apple Support

2. Next, it may be beneficial to try Wireless Diagnostics: If your Mac doesn't connect to the Internet over Wi-Fi - Apple Support

3. Also verify if this is only occurring in specific areas due to interference: Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

4. Ensure the network you are connecting to meet the recommended settings for macOS: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

5. If you still have issues, try creating a new network location and testing. Go to System Preferences > Network > Location top center > Edit Locations. Create a new location using the + symbol. This article should help: How to use network locations on your Mac - Apple Support

If the new location is working, use the bottom portion of the article to prevent the other network that isn't working properly from being used.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Mar 3, 2023 12:42 AM in response to torstenh

Thanks Torsten, that is correct. Meanwhile it did work, not sure what changed because I was connected all the time, but all of a sudden when i tried again it started downloading and installing Ventura. All looks good, except that Mail does not delete messages as I was used to, and combines messages from the same sender, cannot find where to change all that, don't see it under Mail>Settings.

Software update checks not possible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.