You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Link a single AirTag to multiple apple id

Hi,

We have an AirTag on our family car keys. Can it be added to both my wife and my phone (different Apple ID, but in the same iCloud family)?

Thanks

Martin

Posted on Mar 4, 2023 9:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2023 3:01 PM

you can't, the reason is likely related to stalking and social control somehow

you can suggest they change that by using their feedback Feedback - AirTag - Apple

or reach out to their support

Get Support (apple.com)

And or

Contact - Official Apple

Support

5 replies

Mar 4, 2023 9:20 AM in response to martin888

AirTags are linked to a single specific AppleID so you can’t tie one AirTag to two iPhones with different ID.

However, you *might* be able to enable shared family access to Find My and see the AirTag there. Sorry, I’m not fully familiar with the family sharing functions to be sure if this method will work or not but it might point you to a working scheme.

Mar 4, 2023 4:10 PM in response to Rudegar

Rudegar wrote:

you can't, the reason is likely related to stalking and social control somehow

I think the reason might be a little more fundamental at the programming level. Having a device tied to multiple Apple IDs will almost certainly create conflicts over sharing - just like you can't have two people using iPhones connected on the same phone number (cloned SIM) and active at the same time.

Link a single AirTag to multiple apple id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.