You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System protected movie

I purchased a few movies on AppleTV+ and I can't play them on my computer, iPad or on my TV. I'm getting the message "This system cannot play this protected movie.". Please advise!

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 6:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 10:53 AM

Apple TV+ is a subscription service. This catalog doesn’t have purchasable movies.

Buy-movies are from the (iTunes) Store, which is different from Apple TV+.

• Downloaded movie files from the iTunes Store can be played on the device on which they were downloaded. The files are not transferable to other devices. For downloads, you will have to get a fresh copy for each device. This does not apply to streaming.
  • Movies from content providers such as Apple have DRM protection, and are tied to a specific Apple ID account. These files are not playable through other accounts.
  • Downloaded files from subscription services (such as Apple TV+) are valid for a limited time (30 days mostly), and will expire when no longer subscribed. They are not purchases to keep.

Download and stream shows, movies, and events from Apple TV+, MLS Season Pass, and Apple TV channels - Apple Support

Buy movies and TV shows from the Apple TV app - Apple Support

Rent movies from the Apple TV app - Apple Support

(Re)download TV shows and movies that you purchased - Apple Support

About Apple TV+ - Apple

Apple Originals - Apple TV+ Press

List of Apple TV+ original programming (episodic/series) - Wikipedia

List of Apple TV+ original films - Wikipedia

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 6, 2023 10:53 AM in response to Mtl288

Apple TV+ is a subscription service. This catalog doesn’t have purchasable movies.

Buy-movies are from the (iTunes) Store, which is different from Apple TV+.

• Downloaded movie files from the iTunes Store can be played on the device on which they were downloaded. The files are not transferable to other devices. For downloads, you will have to get a fresh copy for each device. This does not apply to streaming.
  • Movies from content providers such as Apple have DRM protection, and are tied to a specific Apple ID account. These files are not playable through other accounts.
  • Downloaded files from subscription services (such as Apple TV+) are valid for a limited time (30 days mostly), and will expire when no longer subscribed. They are not purchases to keep.

Download and stream shows, movies, and events from Apple TV+, MLS Season Pass, and Apple TV channels - Apple Support

Buy movies and TV shows from the Apple TV app - Apple Support

Rent movies from the Apple TV app - Apple Support

(Re)download TV shows and movies that you purchased - Apple Support

About Apple TV+ - Apple

Apple Originals - Apple TV+ Press

List of Apple TV+ original programming (episodic/series) - Wikipedia

List of Apple TV+ original films - Wikipedia

System protected movie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.