You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse 2 keeps getting stuck in right-click mode

at an unspecified interval, that may be a little as every few days or as often as every few minutes my Magic Mouse 2 will get "stuck" and will only right click.

It seems like a problem with the Mac/MacOs rather than the mouse. If I power cycle the mouse it will sometimes return the mouse to normal operation, but it usually takes multiple (3 or 4) times.

I have discovered today that if I instead disable Bluetooth, count to 10, and then re-enable Bluetooth it will fix the problem with 100% reliability.

(fyi, this isn't about System Preferences, or Mouse settings - I've seen many people ask this question and get those types of answers - I am thinking that somehow the mouse driver, or something in the bluetooth stack is losing state).

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 7:07 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Mar 19, 2023 3:24 PM in response to Dgcunn

Try the following in order as needed:

#1 - Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support (for Intel Macs) and Mac startup key combinations - Apple Support (for both types)

#2 - boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Mar 19, 2023 3:00 PM in response to PRP_53

It took some time for it to happen again this time, 2 weeks, much longer than is typical.

Once the magic mouse started to 'right click only' again, I switched to a wired mouse and it too was showing the same strange behaviour (right-click-only).

power cycling the magic mouse had no effect

unplugging and plugging back in the USB mouse had no effect.

I used the trackpad to disable bluetooth waited 10 seconds and re-enabled bluetooth and then both mice started working correctly again.

I'm not sure if, possibly, the act of disabling and then reenabling bluetooth forces the reloading of some drivers (HID, Mouse, others?).

Anyway, I hope this provides some information for you kind folks who know much more about MacOS than I do!

Many Thanks.

Apr 10, 2023 3:47 AM in response to PRP_53

Finally happened again and a bit more information.

I left a USB mouse connected along with my Magic Mouse 2. Once the right click problem returned, I tried to use the USB mouse and it exhibited the same incorrect behavior.

This time, I opened the lid on my macbook and inch or two, and then closed it again. This remedied the problem.

So doesn't seem to be a Bluetooth related issue, but rather a mouse driver or other HID stack element, something that gets reset when the lid is opened and closed...

Magic Mouse 2 keeps getting stuck in right-click mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.