You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Docking station recommendation for triple monitor setup

I want to upgrade from my Intel MacBook Air to a MacBook Pro M1/2 Max to use it with three monitors. I'm having trouble finding a docking station that supports more than two monitors. Can anyone recommend a docking station or tell me how to make three external monitors work?

I currently have the CalDigit USB-C HDMI dock which can run two external monitors. If I got an M2 Max computer, would I run two monitors from the dock and have to plug the third monitor in via the laptop's HDMI port? Or is there a better way?

My monitors are typical 1080P HP monitors. Nothing special there.

Posted on Mar 7, 2023 9:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2023 11:09 AM

If you want to keep using your MacBook Air:

DisplayLink technology creates a "fake" display buffer in RAM, sends the data out over a slower interface to a stunt box with DisplayLink custom chips that put that data back onto a "legacy" interface. It is not a true "accelerated" display, and it can suffer from lagging. Just adding the DisplayLink Driver is not adequate to get a picture -- you need a DisplayLink "stunt-box" or a Dock that includes DisplayLink chips.

————

It may be acceptable for a second display showing slow-to-change data such as computer program listings, stock quotes, or spreadsheets, but NOT for full motion Video, not for Video editing, and absolutely not for gaming. Mouse-tracking on that display can lag, and can make you feel queasy.

In a pinch, it may even play Internet videos (as one user put it) “without too many dropped frames".

The Apple standard for its built-in hardware-accelerated displays, makes them suitable for full-motion video for production/display of cinema-quality video with NO dropped frames, and NO dropouts or partial-blank scan lines due to memory under-runs or other issues. This requires a hardware rasterizer/display-generator for each fully-accelerated display.

If you are only doing program listing and stock quotes and other slow to change data, there are some other solutions, but they require you to make some strong compromises.

--------

It is really nice to know that you can use a DisplayLink display if you MUST have an additional display for some of the types of data I mentioned. But that is NOT the same as the computer supporting a second, built-in, Hardware-accelerated display.

These displays depend on DisplayLink software, and are at the whim of Apple when they make MacOS changes. There have been cases where MacOS changes completely disabled DisplayLink software, and it took some time for them to recover.

--------

I think the Big Surprise for a lot of Hub/Dock buyers is that they thought they were getting a "real" display, but actually got a DisplayLink "fake" Display. If you got what you expected in every case, I would not use such pejorative terms to describe DisplayLink.

>> Caldigit does not make any DisplayLink products.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 7, 2023 11:09 AM in response to Kevin723

If you want to keep using your MacBook Air:

DisplayLink technology creates a "fake" display buffer in RAM, sends the data out over a slower interface to a stunt box with DisplayLink custom chips that put that data back onto a "legacy" interface. It is not a true "accelerated" display, and it can suffer from lagging. Just adding the DisplayLink Driver is not adequate to get a picture -- you need a DisplayLink "stunt-box" or a Dock that includes DisplayLink chips.

————

It may be acceptable for a second display showing slow-to-change data such as computer program listings, stock quotes, or spreadsheets, but NOT for full motion Video, not for Video editing, and absolutely not for gaming. Mouse-tracking on that display can lag, and can make you feel queasy.

In a pinch, it may even play Internet videos (as one user put it) “without too many dropped frames".

The Apple standard for its built-in hardware-accelerated displays, makes them suitable for full-motion video for production/display of cinema-quality video with NO dropped frames, and NO dropouts or partial-blank scan lines due to memory under-runs or other issues. This requires a hardware rasterizer/display-generator for each fully-accelerated display.

If you are only doing program listing and stock quotes and other slow to change data, there are some other solutions, but they require you to make some strong compromises.

--------

It is really nice to know that you can use a DisplayLink display if you MUST have an additional display for some of the types of data I mentioned. But that is NOT the same as the computer supporting a second, built-in, Hardware-accelerated display.

These displays depend on DisplayLink software, and are at the whim of Apple when they make MacOS changes. There have been cases where MacOS changes completely disabled DisplayLink software, and it took some time for them to recover.

--------

I think the Big Surprise for a lot of Hub/Dock buyers is that they thought they were getting a "real" display, but actually got a DisplayLink "fake" Display. If you got what you expected in every case, I would not use such pejorative terms to describe DisplayLink.

>> Caldigit does not make any DisplayLink products.

Mar 7, 2023 11:16 AM in response to Kevin723

if you want to use a MacBook Pro with Max processor, that supports several fully Hardware accelerated displays on whatever port(s) you choose. A Dock is not required -- A Dock is used as an enhancement to free up ThunderBolt ports for other uses.

You can connect a modest-sized HDMI display to its built-in HDMI port.

You can connect a ThunderBolt display or a USB-C display directly to a Thunderbolt port with only an appropriate cable.

You can connect many other displays using an adapter from a ThunderBolt port to DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI, VGA or possibly other even more obscure interfaces.

Mar 7, 2023 10:18 AM in response to Kevin723

To use up to two fully Hardware-accelerated displays on one cable out of a qualified Mac, the cable out of the Mac must be a genuine ThunderBolt cable, and connect to a genuine Thunderbolt first device (Dock or Display).

USB-C cable to USB-C first device (Dock or Display) will NOT suffice.

If you are only doing program listings, spreadsheets, stock quotes, and other slow to change data, there are some other solutions, but they require you to make some strong compromises.

Mar 7, 2023 10:56 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi Grant, thank you for the information.

I should have specified, the CalDigit USB-C dock I have IS a Thunderbolt dock. It's capable of 40Gbps and dual 4K monitors at 60Hz. I suspect that means it could run two displays from a MacBook Pro M1/2 Max without issue. I can understand it that far, but I don't know how to connect the third monitor. Could I run the third screen from the HDMI port on the MacBook Pro or would I need a dock that has three dedicated monitor ports?

I'm not a design professional. My computer use is mostly Office apps, web browsers, and other corporate desktop applications. Nothing that requires perfect frame rate. That said, I still want a solution that runs smooth. I'd hate to spend the money on a MacBook with M2 Max and then taint my experience with a sub-par dock.

Mar 8, 2023 6:31 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for all the information. I think I'd like to get a dock that supports the true hardware-accelerated displays. I have a few USB peripherals, so I prefer an actual dock for the convenience. Are you able to recommend a specific dock or brand that I should consider?

What I'm hearing from you is, if I don't want to use a dock, I can daisy-chain three Thunderbolt monitors from one of the ports on the Mac. Is that correct? That would be my fall-back option if I can't get a dock to run all three monitors at once?

Mar 8, 2023 7:00 AM in response to Kevin723

<< What I'm hearing from you is, if I don't want to use a dock, I can daisy-chain three Thunderbolt monitors from one of the ports on the Mac. Is that correct? >>

NO.

The ordinary way is ONE display to a cable.

'Daisy-chain' implies going from device-to-device-to-device. That is not supported except under extremely constrained circumstances and is limited to at most TWO display on a genuine Thunderbolt cable as described above.

Docking station recommendation for triple monitor setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.