You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Proper way to configure a .hotmail & a .outlook email into Mail?

I have 2 microsoft email accounts - a .hotmail & a .outlook. What is the proper way to configure both these accounts into the Mail app on Mac and in iOS?

On my initial attempts, I got some failures to configure. After trying a few options, they are now configured in Mac & iOS. However, the emails are occasionally acting a bit wonky, such as duplicate emails showing up &/or messages of failure to download.

Mac has the options to configure these as Exchange or Other. iOS has the options to configure these as Exchange, Outlook or Other. (As mentioned above, some of these options failed to configure, but at this point I don't recall which ones.) What should I use to fix my issues?

I only use the Apple Mail app on all devices. I do not have the MS Outlook app.

All of my software is at the latest possible versions.

iPhone XR

Posted on Mar 8, 2023 9:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2023 1:49 AM

I have both those email accounts on my Apple Mail app and they work just fine. Before starting with this, delete the accounts you have already created that are not working, first. Then, when you set them up, choose, "Microsoft Exchange" as the option for both your Outlook and Hotmail accounts. In Mail settings click the Accounts tab then the '+' button. The parameters are then setup automatically for you as long as you enter the proper credentials (username/email address and password). Don't modify any of the settings. Just use all the defaults.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 11, 2023 1:49 AM in response to Googmeister

I have both those email accounts on my Apple Mail app and they work just fine. Before starting with this, delete the accounts you have already created that are not working, first. Then, when you set them up, choose, "Microsoft Exchange" as the option for both your Outlook and Hotmail accounts. In Mail settings click the Accounts tab then the '+' button. The parameters are then setup automatically for you as long as you enter the proper credentials (username/email address and password). Don't modify any of the settings. Just use all the defaults.

Mar 12, 2023 2:17 PM in response to Randall_2023

Randall_2023 - Thank you. I was hoping it would be that simple. I performed the steps you listed, and it seems to be mostly working, but there are still some odd issues.

For example - In Apple Mail on my Mac, the same 3 junk emails are shown in each outlook & hotmail folders. The "All Junk" folder also only shows those same 3 emails, but has a total count of 6.

Are your two emails created within the same Microsoft account? That is what I have. For example - a.hotmail.com is the email also used for the microsoft account logon and the b.outlook.com email was added to that account as another email. I used the method described on microsoft website to create additional emails on an account. If they were from different accounts, I could see how the above problem would go away. But, my understanding is I shouldn't have to do that.

Are you also using these same emails with iOS devices? I also put these emails on my iPhone & iPad. They are both showing a - "Cannot Get Mail, The connection to the server failed" - error. It appears that the Outlook email (only) is failing to send from the iOS devices, but both emails are being received on these devices. Other than the double-counting of the microsoft emails on the Mac, it's able to send/receive both.

Hoping these questions will reveal what I may be doing differently. Thanks.

Mar 9, 2023 8:09 AM in response to Googmeister

Hi Googmeister,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. We understand you're experiencing some issues with Mail and some of your accounts. If they aren't currently working as expected, we would want to try removing those accounts and then re-adding them as this can help resolve unexpected Mail issues. The resources below can help with these steps.

1. Log out of or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support
  2. Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Thanks.

Mar 12, 2023 3:08 PM in response to Googmeister

I have different email accounts. One with outlook.com and one with hotmail.com. (EG: 01234@hotmail.*** and then 56789@outlook.***) I have the same two accounts on both an iMac with Ventura 13.2.1 and an iPhone 13 Pro Max with iOS 16.3.1. I believe I also had used the Microsoft Exchange settings on both devices when I set them up. PS - those two email addresses are just examples and not my real email. Just showing they are different from one another.

[Email Edited by Moderator]

Proper way to configure a .hotmail & a .outlook email into Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.