You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does the message app know which phone number to use for a contact that has multiple?

How do you select which phone number to use for contacts that have multiple phones (work, home, mobile)?

I select the addressee by typing their name. If you don't remember if they have multiple numbers, what order or selection criteria does IOS use? I would think it would use mobile, but that does not always work.

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Mar 8, 2023 5:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 10:49 AM

Have a 2022 iPhone SE with the latest IOS and updates. What you suggest does not happen. It seems to pick at random one of the possible numbers. Only if i pick the right cart at the edge of the screen does it provide the list. Is that what you meant?

Similar questions

3 replies

How does the message app know which phone number to use for a contact that has multiple?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.