You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV does not remember watched episodes

No matter what I’ve tried, Apple TV does not remember any episode I watch of programs. I’ve tried adding them to up next and that doesn’t work. The only way I can get it to remember where I’m at, is to manually mark an episode as watched. I’ve searched and it doesn’t seem I’m alone but haven’t found a solution. Any ideas?

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 6:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2023 1:29 PM

Mine keeps track of the latest episode of a series I started, but takes me back to the start if I didn't finish it last time. Just started after 15 mos using Apple TV through a Roku Express where it did just fine.

4 replies

Mar 11, 2023 8:18 AM in response to amyjolo

Salutations amyjolo, 

We’re going to recommend some basic troubleshooting to begin with. You’ve let us know that you’re using the TV app, but we’re not clear on which device you’re using it. 

The first step would be to restart your device. 

Restart your iPhone

Restart your Apple Watch

Restart your iPad

Restart Apple TV

Shut down or restart your Mac

Next, please also check any other device(s) that use the same Apple ID and see if they are showing the progress in an episode or watched episodes. If they are, we’d next like to have you sign out of your Apple ID, not your entire iCloud account though, and sign back in. 

For iOS and iPadOS you’ll do that in Settings > your name > Media & Purchases. 

For macOS you’ll do that in System Settings > your name > Media & Purchases

Thanks. 

Apple TV does not remember watched episodes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.