You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help needed with unwanted pop up. claims to be mcafee. On a recently purchased macbook pro. refurbished

Unwanted pop-ups claiming to be from Macafee appearing with ever increasing frequency -- warning of downloading from my files, telling me to get anti-virus protection, to scan for malware, bla bla bla - and its driving me mad! And worrying me.

Have not interacted - as far as I know - Ithough I do now remember seeing something that confirmed it was fake, so perhaps I touched something ....

Have tried clearing cache, shutting down safari, restarting holding shift, updating OS and restarting.

Dont quite understand all instructions for blocking pop-ups ... Have gone to settings, website, check pop-up windows - nothing shows up.

Have checked applications - nothing unusual.

Can anyone help, please.

Simple guidance appreciated - I'm 75!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Mar 10, 2023 11:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2023 7:12 AM

In the Safari >> Preferences >> Websites

Scroll down to " Notifications " category

Have you inadvertently Enabled a WebSite you did Not Intend. ?

If so, disable it.

Aside, have been seeing many of this types of " McAfee " specific Scams lately

So, unless you have actually downloaded anything from this Scam Site, you and the computer should be safe 😀

Refer to image below

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 11, 2023 7:12 AM in response to joolsOK

In the Safari >> Preferences >> Websites

Scroll down to " Notifications " category

Have you inadvertently Enabled a WebSite you did Not Intend. ?

If so, disable it.

Aside, have been seeing many of this types of " McAfee " specific Scams lately

So, unless you have actually downloaded anything from this Scam Site, you and the computer should be safe 😀

Refer to image below

Mar 11, 2023 11:43 AM in response to PRP_53

Got there! Having backed up and ready for wiping the disk, the last lovely Apple adviser (who's had this bug himself) spotted a bit of malware lurking under the guise of systems notification - re "confirming not a robot". We turned it off, but apparently can't remove it.

Hasn't popped up since - so looks like my problem is dealt with if not solved (unless of course it's just sleeping - waiting to be reactivated from somewhere in the upside down world).

For clarity/accuracy for anyone else, this thing is more of a sideways slide entry than a pop-up; its very like the official apple notification to share screen (same red too).

Help needed with unwanted pop up. claims to be mcafee. On a recently purchased macbook pro. refurbished

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.