You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove an auto-complete suggestion from Safari

While Safari’s auto-complete suggestions when entering search terms in Safari’s address bar are frequently useful, Safari keeps making these annoying auto-complete suggestions that may be sites I visited years ago, but are no longer relevant to what I’m doing now. Is there any way to access where these auto-complete suggestions are stored in Safari and remove selected sites I am no longer interested in?

Using macOS 13.2.1, Safari 16.3

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 10, 2023 1:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2023 12:07 PM

Thanks destiny241, but it sounds like turning off Show Siri Suggestions in Safari will stop all auto-complete suggestions in Safari - Yes? 

Safari’s auto-complete suggestions when entering search terms in the address bar are frequently useful. I was wondering if there is any way I can remove just the sites that keep getting filled in to auto-complete that are no longer relevant to me.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 12, 2023 12:07 PM in response to destiny241

Thanks destiny241, but it sounds like turning off Show Siri Suggestions in Safari will stop all auto-complete suggestions in Safari - Yes? 

Safari’s auto-complete suggestions when entering search terms in the address bar are frequently useful. I was wondering if there is any way I can remove just the sites that keep getting filled in to auto-complete that are no longer relevant to me.

Mar 12, 2023 12:16 PM in response to agd21

Hi agd21,

While there's not a list that you could modify in that way, the results you see are based on your browsing history, so it might help to clear that if you haven't tried it already. Check out this link for the steps: Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

"Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac

You can remove all records that Safari keeps of where you’ve browsed during a period of time you choose. If your Mac and your other Apple devices have Safari turned on in iCloud settings, your browsing history is removed from all of them. Clearing your browsing history in Safari doesn’t clear any browsing histories kept independently by websites you visited.

1. In the Safari app  on your Mac, choose History > Clear History, then click the pop-up menu.
  2. Choose how far back you want your browsing history cleared."

Take care.

Mar 12, 2023 10:35 AM in response to agd21

Hello agd21,

You can disable Siri Suggestions for Safari on Mac with the following related steps: How Siri Suggestions work on Mac - Apple Support

Customize Siri Suggestions

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Siri & Spotlight  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)

2. On the right, click Siri Suggestions & Privacy.

3. Select apps in the list to turn “Show Siri Suggestions in [app]” or “Learn from this application” on or off.

Disabling Safari in Siri Suggestions should stop it from auto-populating these websites moving forward.

Let us know if that solves the issue for you.

Take care.

How to remove an auto-complete suggestion from Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.