You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

purgeable ok?

Exactly what is purgeable space and more importantly what is in it?

I only have 101 GB free of a 1TB SSD drive, however, 373 GB is purgeable. So what exactly am I deleting here if I purge the drive? I am a bit nervous...

Thanks

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.5

Posted on Mar 11, 2023 10:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2023 12:11 PM

Optimizing the storage only deletes temporary and cache files which are going to be deleted at some point anyway...it won't touch your documents. The "purgeable" space may also include hidden APFS snapshots usually associated with Time Machine backups (or from other third party backup software)....these backup snapshots are deleted some time after transferring the backup to external backup media.

Here is an Apple article which mentions "Purgeable" space which I quote here:

Get detailed information about a disk in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

* Amount of space available, which can include both free space and “purgeable space”—or space that macOS can free up when needed by removing files from your computer (you can’t manually remove the files that are designated purgeable, but macOS removes them as space is required)

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 12, 2023 12:11 PM in response to Alanr03

Optimizing the storage only deletes temporary and cache files which are going to be deleted at some point anyway...it won't touch your documents. The "purgeable" space may also include hidden APFS snapshots usually associated with Time Machine backups (or from other third party backup software)....these backup snapshots are deleted some time after transferring the backup to external backup media.

Here is an Apple article which mentions "Purgeable" space which I quote here:

Get detailed information about a disk in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

* Amount of space available, which can include both free space and “purgeable space”—or space that macOS can free up when needed by removing files from your computer (you can’t manually remove the files that are designated purgeable, but macOS removes them as space is required)

purgeable ok?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.