You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I think I clicked on a phishing link on the reddit app from my iPhone

Hi,

I think I clicked on a phishing link on the reddit app from my iPhone.

I'm not sure about it but it felt like a fake customer support page. I clicked on it and then I closed it after a couple of seconds.

I restarted my iPhone and now it's on but without internet connection (writing from my Mac here).

Which kind of check can I do to see if any malware has been installed?

What are your suggestions on the next steps I should follow?

Thanks,

Posted on Mar 12, 2023 8:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2023 8:24 AM

Simply inadvertantly clicking on a link w/ an iPhone - assuming that your iOS is current - in all likelihood is completely benign.

(Also assuming that you’re NOT the target of a state-sponsored intelligence agency)

Realizing your possible error and “backing out” is what matters.

We all do this occasionally …

… perhaps it’s needed as a “mental refresher” to keep our mental vigilance “up.”

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 12, 2023 8:24 AM in response to _andyx_

Simply inadvertantly clicking on a link w/ an iPhone - assuming that your iOS is current - in all likelihood is completely benign.

(Also assuming that you’re NOT the target of a state-sponsored intelligence agency)

Realizing your possible error and “backing out” is what matters.

We all do this occasionally …

… perhaps it’s needed as a “mental refresher” to keep our mental vigilance “up.”

Mar 12, 2023 8:33 AM in response to Chattanoogan

Thanks you for your reply,

just few more questions.

The person was asking me to click on the link and stay "online", so (stupidly) on the spot I trusted him saying to be from customer support regarding an issue I was asking help for regarding a specific software product.

So I landed on this "customer support" page, a very basic, it seemed just made in a couple of hours.

I stayed there for like 10 seconds and then closed it, so the link was opened in Safari.

After closing the page the person kept writing me saying that I should click on the link and staying online, on that moment I definitely stopped trusting him.

Do you know if by opening that link in Safari the iphone might have downloaded anything? Furthermore is there any iPhone specific security in place which allows to prevent the access of informations and accounts which are normally accessible via FaceID only and that at the moment of the "clicking" were not opened in the background?

PS: my iOS version is 16.1.1

Thanks,

Mar 12, 2023 8:47 AM in response to _andyx_

Given your description of the apparently “amateurish” implementation, the built-in defenses of your iPhone and iOS should be more than sufficient.

As far as accessing info contained in the secure enclave of you device … it’s very solidly hardened and requires specific actions on YOUR part - thru your device’s HMI - to access. (e.g. Passcode entry or Touch/FaceID authentication)

I think I clicked on a phishing link on the reddit app from my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.