You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

;data transfer

i want to take the data from i pad my husband was using to a newer iPad for him to use it was my iPad but i have a brand new one so i am giving him the other one do i remove all my data first and put it back to factory set then transfer his stuff from his i pad to the new ipad

iPad Pro (5th generation)

Posted on Mar 12, 2023 11:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2023 2:29 PM

On the iPad you intend to give to your husband,

do all the steps in this link:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Then have him back up his old iPad. then he can set up the iPad you are giving

him with his AppleID and follow the prompts to use the backup just made.

3 replies

Mar 12, 2023 3:53 PM in response to Missladybella

Start here in properly preparing your old iPad for reuse by your husband:

What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Now you can transfer data from your husbands existing (donor) iPad to your now prepared iPad. These support pages should get you started with setup of the iPad - and the methods of transferring his data from the donor to target iPad:

Set up your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If the donor iPad, from which you are transferring your data precedes iOS12.4, QuickStart will not be available.

“Transfer” is rather a misnomer. In reality, your data and setup is merely cloned from the donor to the target device. Nothing is moved or removed from the original device.

An alternative is to restore either your husbands iCloud or iTunes backup to the target device:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

When everything has finished, you’ll presumably wish to similarly erase your husbands old iPad. If so, just follow the same procedure to properly erase the device.

Mar 12, 2023 2:34 PM in response to Missladybella

You might be able to do that with Quick Start, but that will require that the "new" one have a newer or same iPadOS version than the "donor" iPad. Heck - I think you can even do that between iPhones and iPads. Still - I've had poor luck helping anyone use Quick Start and even at an Apple Store I was told it doesn't always work. If you don't care about the data on the newer one, you can reset it to factory conditions and get a chance to do Quick Start.

Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

There are any number of ways to transfer data though. I've only done it using a Mac from a backup.

;data transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.