You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disk not ejected properly since Ventura

I have a 24 inch mac M1 with Ventura 13.1

I have 2 external USB hard drives and 2 SSD drives in a bay connected to the mac. I do not attempt to eject or disconnect them.

Since Venture, I have been getting the disk not ejected properly message apparently randomly but sometimes several times a day. Sometimes the message refers to one disk drive, sometimes to 2 drives simultaneously and sometimes to all 4 at once.

The message rarely occurred before Ventura but is now quite frequent.

I have tried all remedies suggested elsewhere resetting SMC, NVRAM etc but to no avail. I have analysed all disks and applied first aid but as far as I can see, the disk are all aok.

Does anyone know if this is a Ventura problem or if there is a way of eliminating the message?

Posted on Mar 13, 2023 11:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2023 5:18 AM

I'm having the same issue. I have two external drives that plug into my old MacBook pro and mount instantly. Since Ventura, neither of them will power with the USB port. So I bought a USB hub that powers from the wall, hoping the issue would go away and it would at least turn on and recognize my HD. Nothing.

I cannot find either in disk utility even with show all drives selected. I reset SMC and all other steps, made sure external drives were selected in finder, etc.

I had to transfer all files off of one to another backup on my older MacBook just to try to reformat it differently to see if it would change anything. Nothing.

I'm really upset with this update and theres no way to roll back since all of my time machine backups were on the external HD that won't show up. I downloaded Monterey and was given an error message that I couldn't install it. I'm just completely frustrated.

Also, I have paid Apple to repair my USB ports less than a year ago. I had issues with just one port not connecting, so they replaced them and I had to pay for it, of course. My External worked after that, all the way until this update happened.

At first, I was mad thinking the newly repaired ports already faulted. But after finding out that I'm not the only one having this issue with the OS, maybe enough of us can find a way to get through to Apple to rectify this.

I hope Apple fixes this issue soon, or I'm selling this computer and going with a PC. Too many headaches.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 14, 2023 5:18 AM in response to blueflash99

I'm having the same issue. I have two external drives that plug into my old MacBook pro and mount instantly. Since Ventura, neither of them will power with the USB port. So I bought a USB hub that powers from the wall, hoping the issue would go away and it would at least turn on and recognize my HD. Nothing.

I cannot find either in disk utility even with show all drives selected. I reset SMC and all other steps, made sure external drives were selected in finder, etc.

I had to transfer all files off of one to another backup on my older MacBook just to try to reformat it differently to see if it would change anything. Nothing.

I'm really upset with this update and theres no way to roll back since all of my time machine backups were on the external HD that won't show up. I downloaded Monterey and was given an error message that I couldn't install it. I'm just completely frustrated.

Also, I have paid Apple to repair my USB ports less than a year ago. I had issues with just one port not connecting, so they replaced them and I had to pay for it, of course. My External worked after that, all the way until this update happened.

At first, I was mad thinking the newly repaired ports already faulted. But after finding out that I'm not the only one having this issue with the OS, maybe enough of us can find a way to get through to Apple to rectify this.

I hope Apple fixes this issue soon, or I'm selling this computer and going with a PC. Too many headaches.

disk not ejected properly since Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.