You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Select value in drop menu to populate adjacent cell

I want to select value from a drop menu in one cell that will populate the value of the adjacent cell

so I select apples from a drop menu and the adjacent cell populates with "3" or some value

Looked at conditional formatting - maybe there's a way to use that but it's not obvious

THX

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Mar 14, 2023 7:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2023 7:30 AM

You can consider using the SWITCH function. Compact and easy to edit.

=SWITCH(A2,"apples",3,"pears",4,"bananas",10,"peaches",8)

In this example A2 is the Pop-Up Menu. The value in B2 changes automatically when I make a different choice in A2.

After the A2 in the formula you simply have a series of switch-value if-match pairs.

More on SWITCH here:

SWITCH - Apple Support

Use ; instead of , in the formula if your region uses , as the decimal separator.

SG

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 15, 2023 7:30 AM in response to GeggyPo

You can consider using the SWITCH function. Compact and easy to edit.

=SWITCH(A2,"apples",3,"pears",4,"bananas",10,"peaches",8)

In this example A2 is the Pop-Up Menu. The value in B2 changes automatically when I make a different choice in A2.

After the A2 in the formula you simply have a series of switch-value if-match pairs.

More on SWITCH here:

SWITCH - Apple Support

Use ; instead of , in the formula if your region uses , as the decimal separator.

SG

Mar 14, 2023 11:53 PM in response to GeggyPo

"…so I select apples from a drop menu and the adjacent cell populates with "3" or some value."

You will need a set of cell pairs to tell Numbers what value is to be placed in the target cell for each of the items listed on the pop-up menu. These can be placed in the main table, or, as done in the example, on a separate table

Example:

Each cell in column B of the main table (Table 1) contains the same pop-up menu list of nine fruits:

The second table, "Items", contains the same list in column A, and a list of numbers, each associated with one of the named fruits.

Each cell in column C of Table 1 contains a copy of this formula:

When a fruit name is chosen in a cell in column B of Table 1 gets that name for the cell on its row of column B, searches for that name in column A of Items, and, on finding the name, returns the value in the adjacent cell of column B of Items.

Regards,

Barry

Select value in drop menu to populate adjacent cell

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.