You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Obscene spam email

I'm getting a lot of obscene email. I'm using the latest OS & apple mail program on an iMac. They continue to come from senders I have blocked. They to seem to come from many different senders and domain names, but I'm guessing they are all from the same sender. The spam filter is, so far, putting all of them in the junk mail folder where I block many of the senders in spite of that not seeming to do any good. Then I erase the all the junk mail in my folder(s). I have 3 email accounts. The crap is coming to only one. How can I shut this off short of quitting that address and starting a new one - lots of work!

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 4:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 6:03 AM

Not sure who your email provider is but I recently went to my provider's web site and used their spam filter to block these emails and it really cut down on the number of junk emails I have received. Using the Apple mail blocking feature only moves them to junk at best.

12 replies

Mar 16, 2023 1:54 PM in response to lfnel36

I’ve had success with the third-party add-on SpamSieve and have used it for some years. This when macOS and its built-in junk mail filtering fails me.

Only downside is that you need to keep the Mac running all the time, if you want it to filter for any iPad or iPhone sharing the same email accounts.

Mail filter rules and blocks will fail against most spam, as spammers intentionally vary the sending details.

Mar 30, 2023 11:28 AM in response to lfnel36

I have been fighting spam emails for a few months. Mail allows you to mark a sender as blocked so email from them is placed in the junk folder. Doesn't solve the problem, tho it does separate the crap. I went to my aol.com mail on the web and you can block and delete specific emails but only up to 1,000. After a couple of days you need to cull some to add more, that's boring. A week ago I stumbled on Cisco-run SpamCop.net. It works GREAT. My junk/spam emails are down from 200+/day to maybe 30. Highly recommended.

Obscene spam email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.