You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove a photo from one album without deleting it from another album? or the itself?

How do I remove a photo from one album without deleting it from another album? or the itself?

-on MacBook Air M2

MacBook Pro (M2 Max, 2023)

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 8:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 11:37 AM

photos has different flavours of albums. You can remove photos only from standard albums you create yourself. Only the standard albums are offering the "remove from album" option, as described by FoxFifth.

It is not possible to remove photos from smart albums or the predefined albums created automatically for us by Photos. The smart albums and predefined albums (like Imports, recents, Selfies, etc) are populated automatically according to rules specific for the album. You would have to delete photos from the library to remove them from these albums, and that would delete the photos everywhere.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 17, 2023 11:37 AM in response to rmh137

photos has different flavours of albums. You can remove photos only from standard albums you create yourself. Only the standard albums are offering the "remove from album" option, as described by FoxFifth.

It is not possible to remove photos from smart albums or the predefined albums created automatically for us by Photos. The smart albums and predefined albums (like Imports, recents, Selfies, etc) are populated automatically according to rules specific for the album. You would have to delete photos from the library to remove them from these albums, and that would delete the photos everywhere.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.