You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to create a short new Storyline within a much more complex FCP Project?

TL;DR:

I know that within the FCP menu, there is an option for Clip > Create Storyline.However, it seems to be permanently grayed out, and I cannot figure out how to make it work. So... below is a more detailed explanation of my exact use case. My hope is that someone might read what I'm trying to do, and set me in the right direction. As always, I thank you all for your tremendous help!!!

My Scenario:

I have several Final Cut pro projects that are made up of the primary Storyline + added Sound effects + added B-roll above the primary storyline + added titles, generators... the whole 9-yards. Each project is 15-20 min. in runtime. I need to take these projects, and create short 60 sec. or less "summaries" of the project for social media.

So far, my process has been this...

1. Right-Click on the Project within the Event
  2. Select Duplicate Project As...
  3. Changing the Video dropdown to Vertical
  4. Checking the Smart Conform checkbox (to make FCP adjust the crop as much as possible to make the 1920 x 1080 video look "okay" in the new 720 x 1280 vertical format.
  5. Then I begin clumsily trying to move things around to get the clips I want to include in the summary to the beginning of the existing Storyline, and eventually deleting all the remaining clips to end up with my short 60 second project.

This is tremendously inefficient!! I must create 3 or 4 of these <60 second "shorts" from this one 20 min. video, so once I've gone through steps 1-4 (above), I need to remember to duplicate the project 3-4 times before I go chopping it up into my "shorts". Because once I start moving things around... everything becomes out of order and crazy very quickly. I realize I could copy/paste the clips, rather than moving them around. BUT... what I would like to do, is create a new Storyline below the existing storyline... and copy/paste clips from the primary storyline down to the new storyline.

Posted on Mar 18, 2023 1:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2023 5:05 PM

You can lift the contents of the primary storyline and paste them into a secondary storyline, leaving everything that was connected to the primary connected to a gap clip on the primary. I don’t know if that would be useful. You cannot connect anything to the secondary storyline. It and everything else has to be connected to the primary.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 18, 2023 5:05 PM in response to Dolmetscher

You can lift the contents of the primary storyline and paste them into a secondary storyline, leaving everything that was connected to the primary connected to a gap clip on the primary. I don’t know if that would be useful. You cannot connect anything to the secondary storyline. It and everything else has to be connected to the primary.

Mar 18, 2023 4:02 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Not two "Projects". I want to have two "Storylines"

Maybe think about it like this... The whole project is made up of 45-50 clips with all kinds of titles and generators applied all throughout. I'd like to lift the whole project out of the Primary storyline... and have it appear above the storyline. Then I'd like to comb through it, and drag clips (copy/paste them)down into the primary storyline.

I'd have to use the "V" key to toggle things on and off a lot. But... I'm looking for some way to keep my project in tack while I just pull from it. And I'd like to avoid having to jump back and forth between projects.

Is it possible to create a short new Storyline within a much more complex FCP Project?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.