You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Biometric assessments relevant to Apple Watch sleep tracking accuracy and differences in sleep tracking across Apple Watch models.

Hi everyone, I have three main questions: Is wrist temperature tracking incorporated into the apple watch's sleep tracking/sleep stage classification? What all are the biometric measurements being incorportated to classify sleep/sleep stages (heart rate, temp, movement, etc)? What are the differences in sleep tracking accuracy between S6 and S8 models and which features are responsible for these discrepancies (what biometrics does the newer watch track that the older one doesnt)? I am looking to export my health data and run my own analyses on them to see what/if any new health insights I can gain. Thank you in advance for any responses :)

Apple Watch Series 8, watchOS 9

Posted on Mar 20, 2023 8:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 10:29 AM

Nobody here would know what algorithms Apple uses.

If you want to compare series 6 with 8 you will have to wear one on each wrist on the same night paired to different iphones to be anywhere near empirically valid. Even then there will be differences due to your arms. Variations from night to night may outpace the differences between watches.

Unfortunately for wrist temperature you need an Apple Watch Series 8 or Apple Watch Ultra, not a series 6.

see...

Track your nightly wrist temperature changes with Apple Watch - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 21, 2023 10:29 AM in response to alie93

Nobody here would know what algorithms Apple uses.

If you want to compare series 6 with 8 you will have to wear one on each wrist on the same night paired to different iphones to be anywhere near empirically valid. Even then there will be differences due to your arms. Variations from night to night may outpace the differences between watches.

Unfortunately for wrist temperature you need an Apple Watch Series 8 or Apple Watch Ultra, not a series 6.

see...

Track your nightly wrist temperature changes with Apple Watch - Apple Support

Biometric assessments relevant to Apple Watch sleep tracking accuracy and differences in sleep tracking across Apple Watch models.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.