You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change multiple clip durations without changing transitions

I am editing multiple text layers with dissolve transitions on the end and beginning of the clips. Now I have to change the length of multiple (text) clips. Every time I pull the end of a clip the transition length changes. How can I extend the clips without changing the transition? And how can I change the length multiple clips at the same time? I tried to select them all and then pull the end of one clip. That doesnt seem to work.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 12:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 6:11 AM

To change the duration of an underlying clip with a transition, use the tabs at the top of the transition.

The tab on the right drags the outgoing (left) clip and the one on the left drags in the incoming (right) clip. The tab in the middle moves the transition left and right in the timeline without changing its duration.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 21, 2023 6:11 AM in response to PeteHikers

To change the duration of an underlying clip with a transition, use the tabs at the top of the transition.

The tab on the right drags the outgoing (left) clip and the one on the left drags in the incoming (right) clip. The tab in the middle moves the transition left and right in the timeline without changing its duration.

Mar 21, 2023 1:38 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks a lot for your help.

With Control-D I can enter the length of a clip in numeric values, but using + and - doesnt do anything for a strange reason there is just a flashing + or - next to the 00:00:00:00 timecode.. Which means no change.

So I can change the length of one clip but not the length of multiple clips of a different length. What am I doing wrong?

Change multiple clip durations without changing transitions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.