You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Excludes External Drive

I am attempting to backup my Mac Air as well as the external HDD connected to USB-C. This EXTERNAL drive shows up on the "Exclude" list but doesn't get removed when I hit the "-" symbol.

I was using this (external HDD) as my TimeMachine backup previously but now I want to use my (recently repaired) Time Capsule for the backups. I selected this drive for a new backup and It is doing the backup correctly for the internal SSD, but not including the external HDD.

MacBook Air (2018 – 2020)

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 10:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 10:44 AM

You will have to erase and reformat the external drive. If it's a rotational drive format it as Mac OS X Extended (journaled) with Ownership set to be ignored so that all traces of it having been used for Time Machine have been erased.

Similar questions

4 replies

Time Machine Excludes External Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.