You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro late 2013 fans

I've noticed the little openings below the screens for the fans have gotten a lot of stuff in them over the years. Can i clean that area by just opening the bottom cover? I'm planning to clean out the actual fans as well

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 5:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 8:33 PM

Thetesta5 Said:

"Macbook pro late 2013 fans: I've noticed the little openings below the screens for the fans have gotten a lot of stuff in them over the years. Can i clean that area by just opening the bottom cover? I'm planning to clean out the actual fans as well"

-------

Why Risk a Damages Device:

Rather than performing this yourself, take this to your local AASP.

Take it to you local AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider):

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the device
5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 21, 2023 8:33 PM in response to Thetesta5

Thetesta5 Said:

"Macbook pro late 2013 fans: I've noticed the little openings below the screens for the fans have gotten a lot of stuff in them over the years. Can i clean that area by just opening the bottom cover? I'm planning to clean out the actual fans as well"

-------

Why Risk a Damages Device:

Rather than performing this yourself, take this to your local AASP.

Take it to you local AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider):

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the device

Mar 22, 2023 10:27 AM in response to Thetesta5

Not sure which vents you are talking about. 13-inch models have one fan and get air through the keyboard. 15-inch models have air intakes low on the right and left sides like this:

Both models exhaust heated air through the hinge area.

Rather than open the open the computer at this point, try cleaning. I hold the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner about a half-inch from each vent (not touching) and use a soft brush to "flick" the lint toward the nozzle.

I have adopted pastry brushes for my computer mucking-out sessions I only get those with natural bristles and wooden handles to minimize static charge issues.

Anytime you have to work inside a Macbook Pro you must disconnect the battery. The real danger in opening are the fans themselves. They need to be lifted from their seats for effectively cleaning, but disconnecting or even stressing their power leads can cause irreparable damage to the logic board. That is why I recommend cleaning over disassembly unless you are very experienced dealing with tiny and delicate connectors that hold the fate of the logic board.

Mar 25, 2023 5:45 AM in response to Thetesta5

Very good reply from the Apple Rep.

I myself would suggest searching for a tear down vid. of the MBP you have and go for it.

Make sure you have the right tools to take it apart most Vids will show you what tools are needed.

Plus the apple community is sooo much larger than the apple forum here just reach out. When running these older machines it is cost effictive to be able to do routine cleaning yourself. IMO.

Macbook pro late 2013 fans

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.