You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suddenly, Default Browser changed

When I click on any link in an email, it has always opened in Chrome. A few days ago, the links all started opening in Safari. I prefer them opening in Chrome.

I went into Settings in System Preferences, and where it has "default Browser" it only shows Safari, and it cannot be changed. WHile there are up & down arrows for a drop down menu, it only shows Safari.

Also, I went into Chrome settings & set Chrome as default browser. But links still open in Safari.

What's going on?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Mar 22, 2023 7:09 AM

3 replies

Mar 23, 2023 10:49 AM in response to gwesq

Hello gwesq,

Thanks for choosing the Apple Support Communities. We understand you want to open links in the Mail app, in Chrome on your Mac. We have a few steps that can help you do this. Check those out below. They should take care of the issue.

Change the default web browser or email app on Mac - Apple Support

"Change the default web browser

Find out which version of macOS you're using, then follow the appropriate steps. 

In macOS Ventura

1. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose System Settings.
  2. Click Desktop & Dock in the sidebar.
  3. Scroll down and choose a web browser from the “Default web browser” menu on the right.

In earlier versions of macOS

1. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose System Preferences.
  2. Click General.
  3. Choose a web browser from the “Default web browser” menu."

If those instructions don't help, try doing the same process in safe mode. Here is how: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

If in the event safe mode doesn't work, you might try reinstalling Chrome, then select it again as the default browser. That may take care of the issue as well.

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Suddenly, Default Browser changed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.